Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Layered navigation is NOT showing up in advanced search

FrankWL

Total Posts:  34

Hi,

the layered navigation is working beautiful in the normal search results page,
but is NOT showing up in the avanced search results page.

I have changed the template in catalogsearch.xml to “page/3columns.phtml” just as for the search results,
am seeing the 3 columns layout, but no layered navigation (i.e. attributes) in the left column.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,
FrankW

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Prad

Total Posts:  72

Having same problem with me.
Can anyone help on this????

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

Would also love to see layered navigation in advanced search results pages?

?

Magento Community
Magento Community

szabinho

Total Posts:  6

I’d love to see layered navigation on advenced search result pages as well so I made some research and this what I find.

In the catalogsearch.xml layout file the simple result page layout has the following settings:
- 3column layout

<reference name="root">
    <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/3columns.phtml</template></action>
</
reference>
-layered navigation on left column
<reference name="left">
    <
block type="catalogsearch/layer" name="catalogsearch.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>
</
reference>

So I tried the same settings in the catalogsearch.xml at advenced search result page’s layout.

<catalogsearch_advanced_result>
 <!-- 
Mage_Catalogsearch -->
 <
reference name="root">
   <
 </
reference>
 <
reference name="left">
   <
block type="catalogsearch/layer" name="catalogsearch.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>
 </
reference>

It resulted in a 3 column layout for advenced search result page but no layered navigation.

I think it should work but for me it doesn’t. Magento might not able to render layered navigation for advenced search result pages or problem is on my side, I don’t know.

If anyone have a solution, please post it.

Update:

As I turned on template path hints I see that magento puts layered navigation block in left sidebar, but renders nothing in it (look at picture). I don’t know what the problem is :(

Update #2:

I tried to edit php file generates layered navigation, removed some conditional part (canShowBlock()). The layerd navigation block appeared but it was empty, no filterable attribute, so i think core Magento layered navigation is not able to generate filters for advanced search results.

Image Attachments
layerd.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

cjpwood

Total Posts:  55
Manchester UK

I REALLY need this as well...can anyone help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cjpwood

Total Posts:  55
Manchester UK

Hi ....I tried the following but it doesnt work and i dont understand why - it works fine with the normal search…

<!-- 
Mage_Catalogsearch -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <
        </
reference>

<!--
CHRIS MOD TO INCLUDE LAYERED NAVIGATION-->

<
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalogsearch/advanced/layer" name="catalogsearch.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>
         </
reference>

<!--
CHRIS MOD TO INCLUDE LAYERED NAVIGATION-->

<
reference name="content">
            <
block type="catalogsearch/advanced_result" name="catalogsearch_advanced_result" template="catalogsearch/advanced/result.phtml">
                <
block type="catalog/product_list" name="search_result_list" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"></block>
                <
action method="setListOrders"/>
                <
action method="setListModes"/>
                <
action method="setListCollection"/>
            </
block>
        </
reference>
    </
catalogsearch_advanced_result>

ahhh, this is very frustrating! surely it should be pretty simple?????

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

Hi, our Layered Navigation Pro extension allows you to filter by multiple attributes, use a price slider or price-input controls,
AJAX pager and sorter and so on ... http://demo-2.adjustware.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=camera

Now the simple search is more powerful and more user-friendly than advanced wink
Are you sure you still need an advanced search? 
If we miss some features, feel free to share your opinion with us

Magento Community
Magento Community

spanakorizo

Total Posts:  28

anyone found solution on this???

Magento Community
Magento Community

acematti

Total Posts:  6

Hi there I am also having trouble with this issue.

I tried changing my layout style to 3 columns then adding these lines of code to the catalogsearch.xml file:

<reference name="left">
            <
            <
block type="newsletter/subscribe" name="left.newsletter" template="newsletter/subscribe.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

So now my advanced search results entry looks like this:

<!-- 
Mage_Catalogsearch -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
            <
block type="newsletter/subscribe" name="left.newsletter" template="newsletter/subscribe.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
            <
block type="catalogsearch/advanced_result" name="catalogsearch_advanced_result" template="catalogsearch/advanced/result.phtml">
                <
block type="catalog/product_list" name="search_result_list" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"></block>
                <
                <
                <
            </
block>
        </
reference>
    </

However now when I run a search for something I get the following SQL error:

SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘) AND `s`.`store_id`=’1’)’ at line 1
Trace:

I am not really sure why id doesn’t let me just add the navigation. I know if I take the following line out that search works but doesn’t show the layered navigation:

<block type="catalogsearch/layer" name="catalogsearch.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>

But that is no good to me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I think it would add some extra usability to the search, If this is not possible it would be great if someone could just let me know so I am not wasting my time trying to get it to work

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Magento Community
Magento Community

nichacas

Total Posts:  1

Its probably disabled because the point of advanced search is to go ahead and filter the results in the search query, rather than after as with the regular search.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Commative

Total Posts:  130
XXX

I agree with nichacas.  I think Varien disabled this feature intentionally.  There is no point to layered navigation in Advanced Search results, since all items in the layered navigation should also be available as Advanced Search options.  You can do an Advanced Search specifying price range, brand, color… essentially, any/all attributes assigned to your products.  The bottom line is that Advanced Search is intended to help you find what you’re looking for in one shot, without having to filter results afterward.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Elmagico

Total Posts:  44

Magentist - 24 May 2010 08:15 AM

I agree with nichacas.  I think Varien disabled this feature intentionally.  There is no point to layered navigation in Advanced Search results, since all items in the layered navigation should also be available as Advanced Search options.  You can do an Advanced Search specifying price range, brand, color… essentially, any/all attributes assigned to your products.  The bottom line is that Advanced Search is intended to help you find what you’re looking for in one shot, without having to filter results afterward.

I think that is not appropiate of Varien because the developer should have the posibillity to deside for himself if he wants certain option enabled or disabled in front and backend. It was there in previous versions so there is really “no point” by saying that its not logical to show the navigation in there, that decision is for the developer or web owner and not for the creator, otherwise its also pointless!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tSpid3r

Total Posts:  17

acematti - 10 February 2010 04:17 AM

Hi there I am also having trouble with this issue.

I tried changing my layout style to 3 columns then adding these lines of code to the catalogsearch.xml file:

<reference name="left">
            <
            <
        </
reference>

So now my advanced search results entry looks like this:

<!-- 
Mage_Catalogsearch -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
            <
        </
reference>
        <
            <
                <
                <
                <
                <
            </
block>
        </
reference>
    </

However now when I run a search for something I get the following SQL error:

SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘) AND `s`.`store_id`=’1’)’ at line 1
Trace:

I am not really sure why id doesn’t let me just add the navigation. I know if I take the following line out that search works but doesn’t show the layered navigation:

<block type="catalogsearch/layer" name="catalogsearch.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>

But that is no good to me.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I think it would add some extra usability to the search, If this is not possible it would be great if someone could just let me know so I am not wasting my time trying to get it to work

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Same simptoms for me! I changed catalog.xml as indicated and I get the same SQL error.

Does anyone have a solution for integrating Layered Nav. in Advanced Search Results Page?

Your input will be highly appreciated.

Thx.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

What is the difference between simple and advanced search from the customer point of view? The only difference - you may select several attributes like (red, blue or white color), set custom price range (from 23 to 167) and I’m afraid that is all.
With the Improved Navigation extension customer can do exactly the same for simple search: select multiple attributes with check-boxes and define their price range, using either from-to widget or custom predefined price ranges.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ankit8118

Total Posts:  5

This post can help you :

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13248461/magento-layered-navigation-on-advanced-search-results/15128386#15128386

Magento Community
Magento Community

teamsankhala

Total Posts:  4

Here is the extension which will solve your problem.

XT Advanced Layered Navigation
http://www.xthemers.com/xt-advanced-search-layered-navigation.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2