Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
French tax needs to be based on customer adress on catalog

Otaugames

Total Posts:  101
Troyes, France

Hello,

With the last version of Magento the tax still needs to be based on shipping origin to be displayed on the catalog. But this is not the way it should work for us in France as we need to calculate the tax based on the customer address. But then, it’s no more displayed on the catalog and the customer only know the amount of tax when he does a simulation or start to checkout.

Of course Magento can not guess in which country the buyer is living if he is not connected to its account, but the shop owner should be able to choose to calculate the tax based on a default country (for example, it would be France for us). After that, once the customer is log-in Magento could then display the tax that will be really charged, based on the country of the main address of the customer. It’s the way OsCommerce is working and it perfectly fit with the french regulations (and I think other countries from the European-Union are applying the tax on the same way).

I hope my explanations are clear enough but if Magento team need more details just ask and I will try to give you more precisions. Thank you.

Regards,
Loïc.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

beowax

Total Posts:  94
Lille, France

+1

This feature is required for french commerce.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Reborn Project

Total Posts:  132

+ 1 very important CEE

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterEmit

Total Posts:  23

Lets say, its more the question, if the tax is visible or not. I guess, if tax should be visible and added, then it would be always the french one and not one from another country. Inside the EU the rules are a little bit difficult. But maybe I try to explain short the version from Germany.

Guests will always see prices including German VAT of 7% or 19% (depending on products). If someone is logged in, then the main address of the person (the one, where the bill should go) decides, if the VAT will be displayed or not. If the customer is from the same country like the shop, then VAT will be always displayed and added at the end. Maybe some settings could change, if prices will be shown with vat or without, but at the end VAT needs to be included in the end value. If a customer is from another country, but still inside the EU, then VAT will be added, if the customer is just a normal customer and not another company. If the customer is a company with a valid VAT-ID, then prices will be charged without VAT. If the customer is from another country outside the EU, then VAT never will be added. Now there is a big big big but. Later in the order process, the customer could add or change the address of delivery. If this address is different than the address for the bill, the delivery address is important to calculate the VAT. Example: The customer is living in Germany. He is getting the bill and he pays the order. Shipping address is Switzerland. Switzerland is not inside the EU. So the shop has to keep the VAT away from the bill, even if the guy, who is paying and getting the bill is living in Germany.

Yeah. Difficult topic.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alphanono

Total Posts:  12
Toul(54), France

+1 !

It’s not a French problem but a all European Union problem !!

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk30

Total Posts:  73
Lithuania/Vilnius

Yeah smile thats why we need custom fields for sign-up form :D If I understand everything allright VARIEN is based in USA and this is why Magento does not meet EU regulations :/ at the moment…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Francesco2008

Total Posts:  67

Yes, this is like it works in All European Countries: withouth these features Magento is useless here in EU :o((

Please support us EU users, Magento Team!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

+1

Any news on this problem ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Torben

Total Posts:  149

Hopefully EU tax will be supported in the next release but that might take a while.

I’m not a PHP expert so I can’t tell if this requires a change in the core modules of Magento or if we can solve the problem with an extension.

If it can be solved with an extension I’m sure that we can find more than enough in the EU who are willing to donate money to a developer

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We are working on making adjustments to the tax based on the EU requirements.

I will keep everyone posted when this is going to be released.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

nicolas46

Total Posts:  210
Toulouse

Good news!  Thanks for your answer.

Maybe can you give us a timeframe , so that we can schedule our projects?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Otaugames

Total Posts:  101
Troyes, France

That’s a really good news, thank you Yoav !

Magento Community
Magento Community

Startak

Total Posts:  6

Hello,

Congratulation for Magento version 1.0

I am also interresting by this problem of french TVA.
When will Magento find a answer ?

Please help us...thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dev722z

Total Posts:  65

Hi Yoav,

YoavKutner - 15 April 2008 03:17 PM

We are working on making adjustments to the tax based on the EU requirements.

Is the new revision 19700 integrates these adjustments to the EU tax ?

dev722z

Magento Community
Magento Community

Luc

Total Posts:  15

Hello,

=> For UE countries the price display should include tax (the best way is to show prices tax Inc and price tax excl)
for example:
11.96€TTC ( 10.00€HT) for a french store
or
11.96€ VAT Incl (10.00€ VAT Excl)

When the shopping cart is shown, it could display prices without VAT and the value of the VAT should appear in order totals BUT with the different products tax rate eg:

VAT 19.6% : XXX €
VAT 5.5% : YYY €

and not the way it is done in the version 1.0 ( even in 1.0.197) with only one value for VAT.

The best way to display products line in shopping cart is to show price with VAT excluded and the VAT rate that will be applied.

By default, if the customer is not logged, the price should include the VAT of the origin country.

For UE, if the order is send to an UE country and the customer is a person, the VAT of the origin country is applied except if the revenue of the orders send to this country have exceeded a certain amount (depends on the country). In that case, the correct VAT is the VAT of destination country and not the VAT of the origin country.
If the customer is a company, the order total is without any tax. In that case it should have a VAT number, that could be check there : http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do

It should be interested to be able to apply tax rates for a zone (countries) and not taxe rate for each country.

I know in UE, and especially in France, we’re a little crazy.

Luc

Magento Community
Magento Community

Luc

Total Posts:  15

sorry for double post

Luc

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community