Magento Forum

flex.js

jforth

Total Posts:  2

How do you plan on using flex with magneto?

any examples? hints? Ideas? that might help me kick start some experiments?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

That will be controlled by a template and not Magento.  Magento has already shown interest in using Prototype as their main JavaScript library, but once the template engine is finalized and documented, you shoul dbe able to change it over to Flex if you wish (personally, I’ll be changing it over to jQuery).

Magento Community
Magento Community

jforth

Total Posts:  2

jquery is great…
Prototype is good to…

I’ve used them both.

I was just wondering about the implementation of the flex.js script located in the application ‘js/lib/flex.js’.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Oh, I didn’t realize that it was included in the package.  Maybe one of the developers has plans or had a plan to use it?  I’ve never used the Flex library, but Adobe tends to make good products and the idea behind it is really cool.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Administrator

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

There was a plan to use flex at some point. That has been put off in favor of an HTML/CSS/JS based dashboard.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Henry Schmieder

Total Posts:  6
Germany

Brandon - 13 September 2007 01:26 PM

That will be controlled by a template and not Magento.  Magento has already shown interest in using Prototype as their main JavaScript library, but once the template engine is finalized and documented, you shoul dbe able to change it over to Flex if you wish (personally, I’ll be changing it over to jQuery).

Dont know if this is a good approach, since the flex´s access layer should be model wrapper or controller/model composition rather than a template implementation. Im not yet familiar with Magento´s code structure but this could be very interesting to see a codebase growing for flash/flex. Also the the communictation base should be thought about. I tend to say SabreAMF would be the better choice over AMFPHP, since i think this would better fit with the ZF/ Magento- Layout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I’m not a big fan of flash-based dashboards. They’re just that… too flashy. I don’t care to wait for their animations to load. Google Analytics isn’t so bad with it, but I don’t care for MSN Adcenter among others that I can’t think of right now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Henry Schmieder

Total Posts:  6
Germany

It´s not only about flash-based dashboards. Imagin applets, for example a dynamic product based price history or interactive product finder.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community