Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Contribution / Module Structure ( General Question )

AlexUser

Total Posts:  27

Hello All,

I have couple of questions about the creation of modules for Magento. I can find no central resource or guide as to how Modules are to be created and what structure they should follow.

I wish to get a module made to generate more advance custom stock / reorder reports along side a number of other things. However its difficult to get a coder to do this work ( and ensure its ‘upgrade proof’ ) with a lack of information. I am not a good coder myself so i have a lack of know of knowledge but i want a strong enough grasp of the structure before i get the work done.

Regards Alex

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

B00MER

Total Posts:  130
DFW, TX

Same boat about creating a module.  Best I’ve found is a Wiki entry a community user posted about the directory structure and where to extend the codebase…

basically app/code/locale/ is where you will create your code to interface.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

If you can wait til tomorrow, I am extending the directory structure wiki article with a custom module structure article.

Good Luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

AlexUser

Thanks great news ! Will lookout for the update.

Alex

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

tman_f - 01 April 2008 05:43 PM

If you can wait til tomorrow, I am extending the directory structure wiki article with a custom module structure article.

Good Luck

Hi, is this still something you will be doing?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

@chinesedream: Yes, actually I began writing the article two days ago. I am trying to incorporate as many details as possible. I should have it posted today or tomorrow.

Also, the company I work for is contemplating creation of a Magento documentation site to include multiple tutorials including screencasts to illistrate the possibilities and showcase stores and flash front ends that we have created with Magento.

We appreciate Magento and want to help it grow, determining whether or not to launch the site will strongly depend on the Magento Community Members, and their desire to have such documentation.

That being said, feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

AlexUser

Any documentation would be truly very helpful. Anything that helps in getting a wide base of Magneto extensions available as soon as possible.

I look forward to taking a look at your guide. Alex

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community