Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problems everywhere

desireco

Total Posts:  16

Hey guys,

I installed magento on my local server which is win vista using xampp. I enabled mcrypt and curl modules it was missing. I figured based on how nice magento site is and how it is well organized, can’t be anything but easy. I dread ever again using OSCommerce or ZenCart and I thought you were life savers.

Then after succesful install. I get empty home page (with no products, design is ok).

And admin… Shows login form, which if I enter correct info nothing happens (I assume it reloads same page) or it tells me that username is wrong if I enter something else.
This was in IE. I tried Firefox and same thing there. I saw a topic on the forum about it and download file head.php but nothing changed. Just out of curiosity I tried Opera where I can login to admin. Wow.Must be that developers use Opera all the time.
Now I tried to add product and category. I would fill the fields and then nothing would happen, it would say it is saved, but it can’t be seen nowhere.

I am completely confused. I can’t believe that this all totally isn’t working, but frankly I don’t know what to thing.

Do you have some ideas what is happening that can help me understand how to use this sw?!

Desireco

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Desireco,

After default installation home page will be empty, except right column
You can install sample data and then run the installation to have sample home page design

About admin login
Are you using localhost as you domain?
If yes, check this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4198

Magento Community
Magento Community

desireco

Hi Lior,

thank you for your helpful suggestion. This does explain a lot why nothing had worked. While it is not localhost, local domain I was using isn’t using dots, so I made it malisa.dev and now I can log in. However links inside still point to old domain.
I figured this also would be easy. I did text search on subfolders of magento and found in /app/etc/config.xml one instance which I updated. Since this didn’t help, I went on to close and open browser, clear the cookies, restart server. Still old links are showing. Also they are showing in both IE and Firefox which tells me that it is not related to cookies but config. Is there any other place I can look?

Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
Desireco

Lior - 21 March 2008 02:25 PM

Desireco,

After default installation home page will be empty, except right column
You can install sample data and then run the installation to have sample home page design

About admin login
Are you using localhost as you domain?
If yes, check this thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4198

Magento Community
Magento Community

desireco

Update. After I cleared cache folder and sessions, it finally seems to work. Quite a bit of work to make it work locally.

desireco - 21 March 2008 03:36 PM
Hi Lior,

thank you for your helpful suggestion. This does explain a lot why nothing had worked. While it is not localhost, local domain I was using isn’t using dots, so I made it malisa.dev and now I can log in. However links inside still point to old domain.
I figured this also would be easy. I did text search on subfolders of magento and found in /app/etc/config.xml one instance which I updated. Since this didn’t help, I went on to close and open browser, clear the cookies, restart server. Still old links are showing. Also they are showing in both IE and Firefox which tells me that it is not related to cookies but config. Is there any other place I can look?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Glad it is working for you now

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community