Magento Forum

Page 4 of 4
products not appearing after import

Bowen

Total Posts:  37

Thank you cnrx, when i have time i want to look into what you have here, this seems to be well explained and hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel.

thx!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

cnrx - 19 January 2009 12:57 AM

Problem/Issue: (perhaps it can be considered solved?)
1. You see one thing in the back-end and another in the front-end
2. A product appears to be enabled but does not appear in the front-end
3. Things seem to be going very very wrong…
etc. etc. etc.

Reason:
You have imported data via CSV and have specified a store other than ‘admin’ in the CSV, or you have specified a store view at the import profile (and/or the export profile, if you first exported your products in CSV).

Solution:
You need to change the scope by selecting an approriate store view from the ‘Choose Store View’ drop down (top left).

(Possible) explanation:
When creating products, the scope was set to ‘Default values’. This means that the product details were set at the very top level (website or global).
However, when importing products with a ‘store’ column set to anything other than ‘admin’ (i.e. ‘default’), SOME of the information is set at STORE LEVEL. Such information includes: Name, Description, Short Description, Tax Class (may be very important), STATUS and VISIBILITY (aha!)… and the list goes on.
The information imported at the store level OVERRIDES the ‘Default values’, but this is not visible if your scope is set to ‘Default values’…

Okay, i just successfully imported 40 products and everything seems to be showing on the front-end, but then tried to change a word in a description which did not reflect in the front-end. 

• exported ALL PRODUCTS selecting the “Default Store View” from the pull down. (instead of “Default (Admin) Views” )
• tweaked the CSV file adding new changes.  (my csv shows “default” in the first column under store)
• imported the CSV by selecting “Default Store View” from the pull down

Is this the correct procedure? If so, why am I still unable to see changes made from the Admin interface for individual products??

Now i just lost the category ID’s by exporting and importing again and found that the exported csv from “Default” contained the cat_id’s and the the csv from “ (admin) “ does not contain cat_id’s.

This makes no sense to me.  It seems as though I should export “Default” and import “Default”, select the same from pull down menu in BOTH directions....

please help me make sense of this:

option 1 (which doesn’t seem to be working for me!  shock
• export “Default Store View” and import “Default Store View”

option 2
• export “Default Store View” and import “Default (Admin) Views”

option 3
• export “Default (Admin) Views” and import “Default (Admin) Views”

option 4
• export “Default (Admin) Views” and import “Default Store View”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

OH MY, i am obviously missing something.  None of my products show up on the front end-now, except via search.

• I’ve exported all products selecting “Default Store View” and “Default (admin) Values” So i have TWO csv files.
• the ‘admin’ csv does not have cat_id’s* — the ‘default’ csv HAS cat_id’s

I have to go back through the admin interface and select products for each category for the third time.

Here is what I tried:

1. import ‘admin’ csv selecting ‘admin’ from drop-down
2. import ‘admin’ csv selecting ‘default store view’ from drop-down
3. import ‘default’ csv selecting ‘admin’ from drop-down
4. import ‘default’ csv selecting ‘default store view’ from drop-down

please explain how NONE of the above combinations did not bring visibility back to the category menus??

*NOTE: I copied the category_ID values from the default csv and pasted them in the ‘admin’ csv before my 4-step trial.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

i would really love an explanation for this....I just imported products again making changes to the enable_googlecheckout column and when i import the products the category_id column has the ID but does not show on the front-end again!!!!  Now i have to manually go through the admin interface for EACH product to have them show up in the catalog menu.

I uploaded the file using (admin) values and default values.

this makes no sense, Im missing something..please help...ive read through every post

@ cnrx, your post makes sense but does not solve my problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

koopkoop2

Total Posts:  38

Here’s how I fixed mine:

I had a problem where my products were not showing on the front-end, but I could see them all in the back office. I got them all to show by opening “Catalog"->"Manage Products”. Then from the toolbar at the top of the product list click “Select All” then pick “Update Attributes” from the Action drop down and click “Submit”.  From here, pick the “Websites” menu and you’ll see the option to add all the selected products to your specific websites.

I don’t know if this will work for everyone though. All of my products were added by bypassing DataFlow and using Magento’s internal Model objects. Version 1.3.0.

Magento Community
Magento Community

koopkoop2

Total Posts:  38

^ for everyone that’s manaully updating stock information for each product, it’s also possible to mass update from the same menu I described above.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

koopkoop2, very helpful, thank you.  I just used this method to change my products to accept Google checkout and it worked great. 

Next time I update stock with dataflow I will try updating the attributes and see if it fixes the issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

VisualFrames

Total Posts:  230
New York, NY

The easiest fix to the products not showing after import is this:

- add a column named “websites” to your csv file to import.
- the values under the websites column should be “base” unless you have manually changed it to something else in your magento store (under Manage Stores).

If you omit this column, even if you have the “store” column defined in your csv, your product will not show in the front end unless you manually edit the products to assign them to the relevant website.

I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

perandre

Total Posts:  30

VisualFrames - 27 June 2009 09:48 AM

The easiest fix to the products not showing after import is this:

- add a column named “websites” to your csv file to import.
- the values under the websites column should “base” unless you have manually changed it to something else in your magento store (under Manage Stores).

If you omit this column, even if you have the “store” column, your product will not show in the front end unless you manually edit the products to assign them to the relevant website.

I hope this helps.

You are so right! Thank you! This is also true when using the script from Amartinez: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/35865/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jerry Guo

Total Posts:  85
china

I got a fast way to update website,

go to manage products, and check all products that you want to change websites , then click action dropdown choose update attribute ,
click website label, check website that you want to add, save. done.

good, sorry my english

Image Attachments
choose websites-1.gifchoose websites-2.gifchoose websites-3.gif

Magento Community
Magento Community

efarem

Total Posts:  17
Hertford, UK

Magento Community
Magento Community

efarem

Total Posts:  17
Hertford, UK

I was importing my products and finding that they wouldn’t appear in the front-end, it seemed as though they hadn’t been assigned a category. When I viewed them in the back-end the categories were checked I’d then click save after not changing a thing and they would appear in the front-end. So I was having to re-save every product I imported.

I avoided this problem by:

1. Making sure the “category_ids” field contains values in this format “213,123,3,32” (no spaces in other words).
2. Import the “websites” heading which tells Magento which store the product should be included in, think the default is “base”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marchman

Total Posts:  12

I have been trying for a couple of hours to get this to work and finally managed to resolve the issue of products not appearing in the front end and backend after successfully loading.

I am on a Mac and was saving my CSV out from Excel. This gave an error as has been documented previously.

I reopened my file CSV file in TextMate and saved it out with UTF8 encoding and CLRF (Windows).

This successful loaded the products into Magento Version 1.5

Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

tortora

Total Posts:  31

We have an application that offers an easier way to import products and addresses some of these issues.  You can get more info on it at www.ClaraStream.com and feel free to email me at info@clarastream.com if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

o0o0o0o

Total Posts:  1

I finally managed it to make the products visible in the catalog by adding the status attribute for each entity in the database via sql:

INSERT INTO catalog_product_entity_int (entity_identity_type_idattribute_idstore_idvalueSELECT distinct entity_id1027301 from catalog_product_entity_int

Please have in mind that your ids might be different from mine. So please check it out first (and don’t forget to backup your db beforehand)

By the way: Working with the import/export interface is a pain in the ass (mildly said)! It’s ridiculous that Magento is incapable of providing a working interface for so many years.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 4 of 4