Magento Forum

products not appearing after import

uni-man

Total Posts:  34

changing “admin” to “default” worked like magic. Thanks for the tip (you beauty!).
The csv exported is a bit misleading.
is there an easy way to determine what your category ids are? best I could come up with is

select entity_idvalue from catalog_category_entity_varchar where attribute_id 22

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

benau

Total Posts:  26

How frustrating is this problem?!!! I find that I need to open each product in the admin backend and press ‘Save And Continue Edit’. Sometimes pressing ‘Save’ makes the ‘Please Wait’ dialogue hang the whole browsing window. Perhaps time to read up on Magento Database Optimisation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

benau

Total Posts:  26

jonahcoyote - 17 April 2008 07:47 PM

Hey everybody, I may have figured it out. Give this a try. After reading this post: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6220/ - I saw right away that that this person used the value “default” in the store field instead of “admin” like I was doing before.

I switched this value to “default” for some existing products and also for a new product and it inserted the products properly and they display without me having to edit them or run the above sql.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jonah

This worked perfectly for me. In Excel with my .xml file open, I simply changed ‘admin’ to ‘default’ and imported the lot via the standard import all products profile.

Thanks!

B

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

Ok....I have been at this from the beginning and felt everyone’s pain!

I have imported 550 products with the store set to default, and I can see them on the front end, but the problem is the system has not created them with an entity ID and their attributes do not get indexed for the layered navigation to work.  So............I am back to clicking and opening and saving 550 products and my finger is getting a bit sore........

Any ideas or links would be appreciated. 

(V 1.098)

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1077
London, United Kingdom

hey roco,

to get products appearing in the layered navigation goto cache management and click “refresh layered indexes” this will make the products visible for the layering… Cant say i can help with products not showing up in general

hth
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Thanks for the reply, but there is no option in my cache management that is called “layered indexes”.......  where is this option you speak of?

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

sorry, i was going off my bad memory grin

ok

look under system\cache management

there is a section in Catalog called
Layered Navigation Indices

hit the refresh button

this will reindex the layered navigation based on all products

Image Attachments
ScreenShot00075.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

This looks like version 1.1 and I have not yet upgraded.  :( Was this a bug that they implemented this functionality for?

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

Im not sure,

i had a look round and couldnt see much documentation about....

Sort of makes sense though.
Having the layered Navigation in a table that can refreshed manually

I think they did it this way so that when you did an import of data, the import did not automatically just refresh the layered nav for your products. Especially if you import your products as disabled first (i do anyway), then check them, before updating to Enabled.

I think it allows you to better stage your updates to your catalog without impacting the front end navigation.

cheers
Brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

Total Posts:  37

WaelHReda - 30 April 2008 05:16 AM

I heard if you change it to default then the products show up on the frontend and not in admin. Is that right?

This happened to me.  I changed “admin” to “default” in my xml file and it processed perfectly.  When i go to the frontend the description from my xml file reflects the new changes, but the backend shows the old description.

Now if i go to the admin and edit the description, it DOES NOT reflect on the frontend....

I have cache disabled and refreshed a few times so i assume it is in the table somehow...any explanation how this is possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bmanwithab

Total Posts:  5
Dallas, Texas

I kind of have similar problem, i think.  When I import I can see the products just fine, but i dont get a price in the layered navigation.  If i go into the item on the admin side and then click “save” and then refresh the storefront, it now shows in the layered navigation section. 

Is this related to what you all have been seeing, and has anyone fixed this before?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

I am completely stumped on how data flow relates to the backend admin interface.  It seems that when i import products (using an exported template), the backend admin interface is completely useless and does not reflect any further changes on the frontend.

Here is my problem:

1) exported ALL PRODUCTS as CSV
2) updated and added products using existing fields from above export
3) imported products successfully but now only 11 products are showing up.  Before the export i had 37 products showing up.

Now looking at the CSV, i can’t find ANY difference in the products that are showing up against the ones that are not! Furthermore, when i go to the backend interface and try to enable the product again it will not show up on the frontend.

Here is what I know aftersuccessfuly importing:

• all products show up in the backend
• all products were changed to ‘out of stock’ —ALTHOUGH 11 products still show up on the frontend!
• all category selections are unchecked
• there is no difference (in each filed) between the 11 showing up and the 26 not showing up

• using magento 1.1.6 and php v 5.0.51
• cleared cache in browser
• disabled cache in magento
• refreshed ‘Layered Navigation Indices’

I don’t know enough about phpmyadmin to clear the issue and now i can’t get these products back.  My biggest question is why the data flow import DISABLES the backend interface functionality???

Here is a specific example:
product named ”Bounce” shows up fine on the front end but shows this on the backend interface:

visibility: nowhere
quantity: 0
out of stock
no categories selected
no image showing

thank you for any help on this!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

I would love to get answer for this if anyone can explain...I am at a stand still .....don’t want to add any new product until this gets resolved.

thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darsh

Total Posts:  71

thanks changing the store to default worked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cnrx

Total Posts:  34

Problem/Issue: (perhaps it can be considered solved?)
1. You see one thing in the back-end and another in the front-end
2. A product appears to be enabled but does not appear in the front-end
3. Things seem to be going very very wrong…
etc. etc. etc.

Reason:
You have imported data via CSV and have specified a store other than ‘admin’ in the CSV, or you have specified a store view at the import profile (and/or the export profile, if you first exported your products in CSV).

Solution:
You need to change the scope by selecting an approriate store view from the ‘Choose Store View’ drop down (top left).

(Possible) explanation:
When creating products, the scope was set to ‘Default values’. This means that the product details were set at the very top level (website or global).
However, when importing products with a ‘store’ column set to anything other than ‘admin’ (i.e. ‘default’), SOME of the information is set at STORE LEVEL. Such information includes: Name, Description, Short Description, Tax Class (may be very important), STATUS and VISIBILITY (aha!)… and the list goes on.
The information imported at the store level OVERRIDES the ‘Default values’, but this is not visible if your scope is set to ‘Default values’…

Another (possible) explanation:
You have used the excellent work-around for importing CATEGORIES (http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how_to_import_category_structure_with_products_using_dataflow).
However, this work-around REQUIRES that you SPECIFY a STORE… (see above)
If you need to resolve this, you may need to look carefully into the import/export procedure used (all the way from the possible integrated logistics package, to the editing of the product details). This may prove not to be very simple.

Notes (you may find important/helpful):
When it comes to EXISTING products, it is good to know that there are ONLY TWO fields that need to be specified in the CSV: ‘store’ and ‘sku’. Everything else is optional. This may prove helpful while importing categories using the work-around mentioned above, as once the products have been created/updated (by specifying ‘admin’ at the store field), all you need to do is import a simple CSV containing only ‘category_ids’ or ‘categories’ and the other two fields (store and sku).

I sincerely hope this helps someone out there (it would have certently helped me if).

Best regards and good luck! grin

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community