Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
products not appearing after import

koalakid

Total Posts:  8

I am in the process of setting up my first store using Magento and trying to get my head around the import tool. I’ve set up a profile to import products from a csv file. After a couple of error runs I got the following screen:

* Starting profile execution, please wait…
* Warning: Please don’t close window during importing/exporting data

* Starting Mage_Dataflow_Model_Convert_Adapter_Io :: load
* Loaded successfully: /mnt/gs02/herd03/28239/domains/supplements4.com/html/var/import/product.csv [125717 byte(s)]
* Starting Mage_Dataflow_Model_Convert_Parser_Csv :: parse
* Finished profile execution.

There appear to be no errors but the products did not appear in the catalog. Can anyone explain if there is an error.

Also does anyone have a sample spreadsheet with the standard columns that I could use as a template. I guessed the column headers from the mapping filed drop-down.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dan_w

Total Posts:  290

Hello,
As for the sample spreadsheet, you really don’t need one. The easiest way to get the columns for your store is to quickly create a product using the gui and then do a full export for that product. This will give you a template for importing products. From the looks of it though, if you used all of the fields that are available for mapping, you should be in pretty good shape.

As for why the products aren’t appearing in the catalog, there is probably a couple of reasons. First, by catalog, I don’t know if you mean the front-end or backend. Here are a couple of things to check:
From the admin, go to catalog->manage products and see if your products show up. If they do, then you know for sure that they were imported. One of the issues with the current dataflow is that it does not assign products to store views, or at least I have been unsuccessful with that. You’ll want to check and see if that’s the case. I don’t know your particular setup, but for us, we have a multi-website and multi-store configuration. We got over this hurdle for now by using a simple bit of sql to assign products to the proper places.

Secondly, check and make sure that they are getting assigned to the proper categories. If they are importing fine, but aren’t getting assigned to a category then they will not show up on the frontend either.

The response from the import makes me think that either one of these may be the case because it does appear that they are loading and parsing. Like I said though, try creating a product using the gui and then exporting. Use this to compare against the file that you originally imported to look for any abnormalities or differences and you should be on your way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

koalakid

Total Posts:  8

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

The products definitely did not import so I followed your advice and created one product manually and then exported it as a csv file. However it did not export with headers so I am not sure what some of the columns are, some of which are empty. I basically copied the row and tried importing it but am still getting an error: “SKU is required”. I am presuming that the columns are mismatched somehow as it definitely has an SKU in the matching column.

If you have a copy of a successful csv or xml file that would be great, otherwise I guess I will continue playing with the columns.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

ummm ....I think there is a bug on mapping that is being worked on by the Magento team .....so for now you need to use the default headers instead of mapping ...but I faced an issue similar to yours and am discussing this in
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4726/#When:09:39:37Z

Post your comments after trying the above....

Magento Community
Magento Community

georgek

Total Posts:  23

Just to elaborate on what dan_w said, if you import the products successfully but they are not showing up in the frontend you need to update table catalog_product_website with the product id and website id.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

This has been fixed in the production version 1.0. Please upgrade and check again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Spek

Total Posts:  77

It’s not fixed in my opinion.
Even if I export and then reimport (making sure “store” is set) they won’t show up without opening and saving them.

I just read that changing “store” from “admin” to “default” should fix that however, I’m gonna give that a go now..

edit: that did the trick but images are still not imported.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason

Total Posts:  19

srinigenie,

The bug tracker shows this problem as fixed, but still doesn’t work on my 1.0 test site.

Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericleeclark

Total Posts:  40
Muncie, IN

I’m also using v1.0 on a test site and this feature is not working. I have all my products imported and I got them to appear in the categories by changing the store from ‘admin’ to ‘default’. However, the products don’t show up in the store visually, but they do appear to be registering somehow. It says there’s 5 pages of products to flip through, but only two products show up (the two I created manually from the admin interface). Check it out…
http://www.awcoffees.com/1.0/coffee

This is a fairly major issue if you’re trying to maintain a large number of products. Any imports and it breaks the store view. Seems I’d have to go in to the admin interface and save each one manually before they start showing up in the store! Yikes!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason

Total Posts:  19

Eureka, it worked! Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericleeclark

Total Posts:  40
Muncie, IN

Eureka, it worked! Thanks!

@J, what did you do to get it to work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

emanresu

Total Posts:  2

Having the same issue here. Manually created products show up in front end but imported products do not. The field “catalog_product_website” only shows the one manually entered product and not the imported ones. Seems this is where the failure is.

Will have a look at the db as suggested above. Any other fields to check?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cibernoid

Total Posts:  208

During import with Dataflow, items are not assigned to a Store therefore I have to enable them manually.  Here is my .CSV:

"admin","Default","Simple","Product Name","","","000002","1","","","","Enabled","Catalog, Search","5.22","TAX","/000002.jpg","16","1","21"

Magento Community
Magento Community

monkeybum

Total Posts:  32

cibernoid - 08 April 2008 11:21 PM

During import with Dataflow, items are not assigned to a Store therefore I have to enable them manually.  Here is my .CSV:

"admin","Default","Simple","Product Name","","","000002","1","","","","Enabled","Catalog, Search","5.22","TAX","/000002.jpg","16","1","21"

Yup I can confirm that bug too, having the same issue with version 1 - I just use phpmyadmin to create these entries.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cibernoid

Total Posts:  208

monkeybum - 09 April 2008 12:10 AM

Yup I can confirm that bug too, having the same issue with version 1 - I just use phpmyadmin to create these entries.

That’s certainly a good idea. Could you please tell me wich table are involved and what sql query are you using?

Thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

roco

Total Posts:  191

I have exactly the same problem and can confirm that the import will not allow products to show up in front end but they show fine in the back end with store = default or admin. If I open the product and save it then the product shows on the front end as well.  Any idea when this will be fixed?  Seems like a big issue for people importing large product lists. 

Also, has anyone built a query to rebuild the catalog_product_website table with exisiting product data?

Thanks - Rob

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4