Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

left side caterogy list

itay

Total Posts:  30
Israel

@ Conyx Group

beautiful site!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Conyx Group

Total Posts:  66

thanks, took some time to figure bout the url issue for SEO purpose. Now I have the same product in 5 or more different categories but it always points to the original url.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Serial Killa

Total Posts:  76
Malaysia

Anyone out there can give instructions on how to make a vertical category (final working edition instructions) there are many posts here on the subject and tangled up between the versions as old version instructions doesnt seem to work on the new version of Magento,

Thank you guys ,
would be nice , if its in the Wiki or KnowledgeBase,

Thanks again !! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

breastfed

Total Posts:  194
Münster - Germany

After adding the left side Navigation, it is displayed on the last Position on the left Column.

How can i change it to the first and maybe displayed on all 3 Columnpages?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

ecommerce-store

Total Posts:  181
Roma

Is better do a modul for this tips? Isn’t it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cibernoid

Total Posts:  208

breastfed - 24 May 2008 04:27 AM

After adding the left side Navigation, it is displayed on the last Position on the left Column.

How can i change it to the first and maybe displayed on all 3 Columnpages?

Thanks

If you want to make the vert_menu appears at the top of the column, open catalog.xml and change this string (around row 76):

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

into:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>

then do the same at row 105~106

Don’t forget to keep track of your changes, so you can revert to the original file if something goes wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

agentsofdesign

Total Posts:  2

Thanks Dan_w!  I implemented the code to display categories in the sidebar and it actually works!

I did notice something though..I have a category that has “unused” products (seasonal items, items that are not always available ,etc.) I have the category disabled, but it is still showing up in the newly added sidebar navigation. Am I overlooking something—Should the category still be displayed even though it’s disabled? Is there a better way to accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community
Magento Community

superiormp

Total Posts:  16

Not only can I not get the vertical nav menu to appear, but I can’t get ANY of my categories to appear.

Would there be a reason why after adding a lot of categories (26 total) they would stop appear at all?  (horizontal OR vertical)?

Magento Community
Magento Community

superiormp

Total Posts:  16

Never mind - apparently, a Root Catalog has to be defined and assigned to a Store before any categories appear.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosschapman

@dan_w and others

thanks for the tutorial.  however, went through the process step by step on the default template with sample data and got nada in the left sidebar.  only spark of hope for me was when i manually added a layout update to a category page with

<reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/vert_nav.phtml" />
            </
reference>
then i DID see the vertical nav in the left sidebar.  wondering why it’s not showing up otherwise.  here’s the top of my catalog.xml file:

<layout version="0.1.0">

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>
[b]          <reference name="left">
        <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/vert_nav.phtml" />
        </
reference>    [/b]

<!-- Mage_Catalog -->

<
reference name="left">
                    <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
                </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="core/template" name="left.permanent.callout" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
                <
action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg</src></action>
                <
action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Our customer service is available 24/7. Call us at (800DEMO-NUMBER.</alt></action>
                <
action method="setLinkUrl"><url>checkout/cart</url></action>
            </
block>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="right">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
            <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
        </
reference>

</default>

any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rosschapman

ok. should have read this post earlier and fixed system caching.  doy hickie.  http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2756/

Magento Community
Magento Community

royalije

Total Posts:  37
Spain

@ dan_w Thanks mate...you really helped me with your instructions on how to get the categories navigation working. I owe you one!

Magento Community
Magento Community

schmelzgeist

Total Posts:  92
Marzipane World Capital (Lübeck, Germany)

Princeanil - 14 May 2008 07:47 AM

Hi !

If its possible to put the categories in the left column, it should be possible to display them as a list on the center column of a CMS page too.

I’ve tired everything but cant seem to get it working.  We have many categories, and what i had in mind is something like the image I’m attaching.

Any ideas on how this could be done ?

i’m interested in this too smile
would be nice to know, let alone accomplish wink but i have no idea

Magento Community
Magento Community

vesvello

Total Posts:  97

I went step by step and I clean my cache and I couldnt see the left side menu… any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bendi

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

I’ve intalled Magento-1.0.19870.4.
This release already has a “.\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\catalog\navigation\left.phtml” file,
so I think that the only change to do is in the catalog.xml file, just adding:

<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.vertnav" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml" />

between tags:

<reference name="left">
</
reference>

but I get the next error:

Fatal error: Call to a member
function getChildren() on a
non-object in
.\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\Block\Navigation.php
on line 77

any idea?

Thanks