Magento Forum

Investigating Magento for large site - performance recommendations

jassiking

Total Posts:  1

Hello Everyone,
I am sorry If this is not the appropriate thread for posting this.

I want to consider Magento for creating an ecommerce website with around 15k-20k products. I want the product search shouldn’t take much time and site performance will be the prime concern for me. I want to use Apache Solr for search and PHP-APC for caching to improve the performance.
Can anybody recommend me which is the right way to proceed?

Shall I consider Community edition or enterprise edition? I have a budget constraint and want to go with open source only.
Or shall I consider using Drupal as framework and developing features for it keeping performance at top.

Thanks in advance
Jaswinder Singh

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Guru

Total Posts:  737

You can do all this with CE but the more ‘enterprise’ features the more diffcult it is to get it to all work together, the return on investment for EE you need $3million revenue per year, 20,000 products is not so large. If you need an environment for this with SOLR and hosting for sub-2s page loads we would be happy to assist. Large and high performance ‘enterprise’ style sites using CE or EE are our speciality. For reference, Google sees through extensions trying to increase or ‘fake’ performance, they can track your cached and non-cached performance (more than 2-3s is not good) as well as your hosting environment, the will lower your ranking if you do not have all of these working together, if you are associated with lower ranking sites it will work against you further (shared hosting).

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagenX
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  791
Dublin

hi
go with Community edition.
forget about SOLR

apc is good

for really fast magento you need SSD server.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Guru

Total Posts:  737

"forget about SOLR” - strange considering EE and all the top sites and platforms use it (Hybris, Disney), but each to their own.

“for really fast magento you need SSD server.” - no you don’t, we run on standard platforms and obtain sub-second reponse, but only if you have all the pieces working together, ssd is the same as full page caching, if the rest of the environment is optimised then it adds that nice extra boost, if the environment is not (and 95% are not), then it does not make much difference apart from service providers adding a nice margin on top for marginal benefit to the end client.

“Guarantee that You will have site faster than 70% e-commerce stores.” - that is not good enough these days, you need to be at an absolute minimum in the top 20% and to actually make any reasonable profits in the top 5% or top 1% of class (for example $250,000 revenue per year, $500,000 revenue per year, $1million revenue per year, $2million, $5million, etc). Anything less and you will slowly go under at some point.

Unfortunately this information comes from enterprise consultants who architect systems from the smallest to the largest companies (multi-national) and can have Google index a new site in weeks to compete and list against top stores such as Amazon, Net-A-Porter, etc, as well as the leading industry sources such as Gartner who provide industry statistics.

If you want to succeed you need to allocate 5% of your yearly revenue for your IT budget, it is then a sub-division from there such as hosting is normally 10-20% of IT budget, consulting 25-50% of IT budget. The smaller the company the less services you will have and the more you will need to apportion to the services. Large enterprises only spend 5% of their IT budget on hosting but they have many other costs such as supplier onboarding, middleware, etc.

Any service provider trying to go above these figures are overselling the services to the clients which will cause the client to go under at some point, any client trying to go below these figures will shoot themselves in the foot as they will not have the infrastructure to support Google and visitors who will drive the traffic and will also go under at some point. This is the reason that 95% of stores fail to make any profit (when time and cost are both taken in to account), and also the reason service providers are starting to panic as they can no longer oversell services to end clients.

If you have revenue of $500,000/yr (around 2-3 employees), then allocate $5,000/yr on your hosting (20% of 5% of $500,000), this is the top-down method used by the top enterprise companies and consultants. You can also do it the other way and try and figure out the optimum level of hosting for the cost (this is bottom-up and how 95% of providers and clients do it), but you will lose 6mths, probably change other things as you are unsure what is causing the problem confusing yourself even more, miss the end of year where 70% of sales are made, and end up with the same result anyway. We go with the easy option proven by the largest companies and best consultants, but that it just us.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community