Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

php 5.2 and RHEL/Centos 5

postman

Total Posts:  6

Hi,
Just found an excuse to try out Magento but find that it wants php 5.2
I currently have php 5.1.6 and php 5.2 is not in the RHEL repositories. Is it realistic to ask for 5.2 ?
Thanks in advance for opinions,
jonny

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tagtech

Total Posts:  14

Hello all:

I am in the exact situation as the previous post.
I am running CentOS 5 with PHP 5.1.6
I have followed all instructions about the CGI work around and still no luck.
I just cannot make Magento work.

If I am missing a post or if anyone has specific instructions on how to install this package under PHP 5.1.6 on CentOS 5 please direct me to the correct post or please outline proceedure here.

Thank you

Kobie

Magento Community
Magento Community

tagtech

Hello all:

I made the post above and I found this solution.

While this may not fix the problem of trying to get the CGI script to run on PHP 5.1.6, it did allow me to upgrade to PHP 5.2.5 without all the RPM failed dependencies using YUM.

I would still like to know how to fix the CGI script problem on PHP 5.1.6 for my other servers but none-the-less I can now move on with this one installation of Magento.

But if you go with the php5-cgi binary, make sure you have fast-cgi otherwise performance will surely suffer.

Also if you need the latest RPM binaries, i suggest you try jason litka’s repository: http://www.jasonlitka.com/yum-repository/

They have all the latest YUM rpm, including the latest php 5.2.5

After going blind reading post after post, I bit and decided to add the Jasonlitka repository to my yum and updated to PHP 5.2.5

Took about 5 minutes - updated to PHP 5.2.5 - restarted httpd and whola we are up and running.

I recommend using this YUM repository until CentOS updates their offerings at some date in the future.

To recap:
We were running CentOS 5
PHP 5.1.6
We added http://www.jasonlitka.com/yum-repository/ to our list of YUM repositories
Updated PHP via YUM
Restarted HTTPD
Now we are running like a champ.

Thank you

Kobie

Keywords: php5.1.6, php 5.1.6, PHP5.1.6, PHP 5.1.6, PHP 5.2.5, PHP5.2.5, CentOS5, CentOS 5

Magento Community
Magento Community

tagtech

UPDATE:

I updated the PHP to PHP 5.2.5 using the YUM updater after I added the new repsitory to the YUM.

Once I got YUM to update the PHP I found that I had two components not compiled in the PHP.

I had to add -mcrypt and -dom

Added these and we were up and running 100%

I do not know if this option is valid for other users but I can tell users of CentOS 5 that this solution was easy and quick.

Also in my case upgrading to PHP 5.2.5 did not break anything else on the server.

TagTech

Magento Community
Magento Community

stewart_eh

Total Posts:  2

Thanks tagtech

Your post was very helpfull to me, I have managed to get php 5.2 locked and loaded on the system and all is good.

I am very much a CentOS novice and was wondering if you anyone else could help me out with the adding of “-mcrypt and -dom” part as I am not stuck on my install since it requires it.

I have done some searching on the net but not been able to find any info on how to do this.

Thanks in anyone who can help in advance.

Stewart

Magento Community
Magento Community

flexiverse

Total Posts:  3

Can some one please post the exact linux console commands to do this.

My box has a similar problem, I need to upgrade PHP.

ONLY:  It’s a Fedora Core 4 box running PLESK 8.

I have no idea what are the specifics for upgrading PHP/MYSQL using this ‘yummy’ lark.

Can someone please post a crash course.

I can’t afford to break PLESK or the box, it’s running live sites. so I need 100% assurance from other people who have upgraded live boxes
running fedora core 4 and plesk from php 5.1.2 to 5.2.5

Jesus man why is this so complicated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tagtech

Can some one please post the exact linux console commands to do this.
My box has a similar problem, I need to upgrade PHP.
ONLY:  It’s a Fedora Core 4 box running PLESK 8.

PLESK 8 - that is a heavy duty package for multipul virtual hosting is this a shared server or dedicated server and are you the admin of this box?

I did all my work from command line and I tested on a non-production server before replicating the process on my production servers.

In other words - what I am wondering is . . . do you own this server you want to update or is this server owned by a hosting company that you have an account on.  If the server is not yours and you do not have full administrative rights or root access then you would need to contact the hosting company or server owner, they might not want to upgrade the PHP.

If indeed you own the server then read on. . .

I have no idea what are the specifics for upgrading PHP/MYSQL using this ‘yummy’ lark.
Can someone please post a crash course.

You can see if YUM is loaded on your machine by just typing yum on the command line.  If yum is there then it will default and bring up a list of possibile commands to be used with yum.  If yum is not there then you will first need to install yum.

You ask what is YUM - well in short - YUM is Yellowdog Updater Modified

You can read about it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_dog_Updater,_Modified - or go to the source - http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

Yum is fairly self explainitory there is no real crash course in yum other than the docs on-line.  Honestly I cannot recommend typing in yum blah blah blah and presto you will have upgraded PHP.  You need to understand the full actions of yum and implications of what yum is doing before you just go off and type in commands.  If you do indeed break something by performing a yum install/update or upgrade then you need to know how to fix it if box breaks at least have some place to start.

I can’t afford to break PLESK or the box, it’s running live sites. so I need 100% assurance from other people who have upgraded live boxes running fedora core 4 and plesk from php 5.1.2 to 5.2.5

As with any install, upgrade or update you run the risk of “breakage”.  If you need a 100% guarentee that using YUM to upgrade your PHP is not going to break something then you need to pass on this whole post, or you need to engage the services of a admin who is willing to take on that responsibility.

All I can tell you is that I have used YUM to upgrade PHP on 5 different boxes at this time, most of them going from 5.1.6 to 5.2.5 or 5.2.6 and I have had no problems.  Using YUM was a seamless update process that resulted in no down time for me. 

Looking through the docs for PLESK 8 - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/plesk/ - I cannot find anywhere that the writers of PLESK publish what PHP PLESK will work with and will not work with.

But if you wish to proceed here is what I did . . .

I added the http://www.jasonlitka.com repository to my YUM list of repositories.
I ran yum upgrade php
I ran magento install and I had missed mcrypt and dom so . . .
I ran yum install php-mcrypt
I ran yum install php-dom
I restarted httpd

I was then done and went and smoked a cigar looking at the newly updated box I had just finished.

Seriously there is NO-QUICK fix I can recommend other than engage a Linux admin that is willing to upgrade the PHP for you if you are unwilling or unprepared to risk breaking the box.

Take care

TagTech

Magento Community
Magento Community

GavinB

Total Posts:  3
East Yorkshire, England

flexiverse - 22 May 2008 02:34 AM

I can’t afford to break PLESK or the box, it’s running live sites. so I need 100% assurance from other people who have upgraded live boxes
running fedora core 4 and plesk from php 5.1.2 to 5.2.5

Don’t know if you are sorted yet, but for others on a Plesk box I would suggest taking a look at http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com - Scott maintains a list of RPM’s there for various Linux distributions. As a founder of Plesk he is very knowledgeable and the YUM stuff and forums are Plesk friendly.
Please note, I am a Microsoft man and have been on a very steep learning curve since treating myself to a Linux VPS. After discovering how to safely install YUM on the box I have found his YUM archives very useful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pbxpal

Total Posts:  1

GavinB: Don’t do it! You’ll most likely break your box. I just went through the same problem of needing php 5.2.0. I started out with a server running Fedora Core 6 and Plesk 9.2.1. Fedora Core 9 (read: nine) reaches end-of-life this Friday, July 10, 2009, meaning no more updates.

It’s about time you upgraded your server. I came to this realization after spending two days playing with servers in attempts to install Magento. Here’s a great article:

http://www.christianmontoya.com/2008/10/01/upgrading-php-and-installing-apc-on-centos-5-with-plesk/

The first section will walk you through updating to php 5.2.0, but you’ll need a newer distro. I just had CentOS 5.3 installed on my dedicated server, which will continue to be supported until March 31, 2014. This is specific to Plesk, but I’m sure it’s possible that you could use the same third-party repository to update php to 5.2.0.

Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

cricky

wonderful! thanks for the info..

commission de surendettement
- commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shaabans

We recently upgraded PHP on RHEL4, and ran into a few snags that weren’t on the other links I’ve seen here, so hopefully this will be useful to anyone that started from a similar point as us:

How to upgrade RHEL4 to latest PHP and MySQL

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Your best option is CentOS5 plus Zend Server, which is what I’ll be running when I get a moment (it’s also what Zend themselves run). For now, I use CentOS5 with PHP 5.2.6 compiled form Fedora packages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kammalou

Total Posts:  285
Denmark

J.T. - 24 July 2009 07:46 AM

Your best option is CentOS5 plus Zend Server, which is what I’ll be running when I get a moment (it’s also what Zend themselves run). For now, I use CentOS5 with PHP 5.2.6 compiled form Fedora packages.

Atomic Repo’s & Dag’s RPMForge Repo for YUM. Also add’s nifty updates possibilities.
I’m using Plesk 8.6, Centos5 x64

Adding the Atomic & Dag’s repositories did not break any of my setups.
Nor did updating the Mysql to 5.0.83, and the Centos Kernel to the latest :
Current Kernel:
uname -r
2.6.18-128.2.1.el5
uname -i
x86_64

But with plesk i had issues with the GPG Key, which i had to manually import. Using rpm -i <keyname>

Magento Community
Magento Community

joshgeake

Total Posts:  11

It’s a pain in the a** to install Magento on RHEL, mainly because of PHP 5.2 requirement. See here http://www.geakeit.co.uk/installations/install-magento-1-6-on-centos.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community