Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrading a TEST site harms my LIVE SITE. 

aaronce

Total Posts:  32
Brisbane

So the problem is that i want to upgrade a test site to make sure things are working before going live. But when i duplicate the live site and database, then rename them make sure they aren’t pointing at the live site (in local.xml, base urls) then run the upgrade scripts via SSH or Magento Connect the upgrade makes changes to the live site, this is incredibly frustrating.

so is there something i’m missing?
i keep the installation files and databases separate, and I’m sure i change all the settings required.

my file structure is like this:
Live Magento files - /home/liveMagentoInstall/
Live DB - live_magento

Test Magento files - /home/testMagentoInstall/
Test DB - test_magento

so the last upgrade procedure i did to upgrade that screwed both the sites is this -
#1 login SSH as a user that only has permissions to edit the TEST fileset.
#2 navigate to the root of the TEST magento installation.
#3 run the command: ./pear upgrade-all
#4 wait for the upgrade to finish, no reported errors.
#5 check test store to find that it’s broken, not even reporting an error.
#6 check live store to check that it’s working, it’s not. reports an error saying that an PDO MYSQL connector has failed in a /lib/varien/ file somewhere.
#7 check time stamps on directories on the live site some have changed include -
/app/design/frontend/default/
/app/code/community
/app/code/core/Mage/Adminhtml
/app/etc/modules
/lib/Zend
#8 i upload some of the files back to there original state and get -

Warning: Mage_Core_Block_Template::include(/home/liveMagentoInstall/public_html/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/reports/product_compared.phtml) [mage-core-block-template.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/liveMagentoInstall/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php on line 144

can anyone help me in what is going wrong, incredibly frustrating when upgrading a test site decides to change the live site.
is it a problem with pear? i have no idea.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

idoia

Total Posts:  17
Barcelona

Have a look to this post

if you don’t change the serverpath and starts updates on new shop copy, you will update the origin shop and not the new copy of it! The server path of origin magento shop is stored in many many files in the downloader directory, you can’t change all of them manually. But you can do it automatically if you have SSH access…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community