Magento Forum

Can Magento be used to build an Affiliate Site? 

bydand

Total Posts:  11

So, the site would work like any typical affiliate model:

- Various products/services from various advertisers are displayed
- User clicks on the product/service they require
- The user is then redirected to the advertiser website where the transaction takes place.
- Unique identifyer code is captured in transaction logs somehow.

Do you think Magento could be configured or tweaked somehow to push the user to a 3rd party site?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

grooves1200

Total Posts:  122

I am hoping to build something similar. I don’t think it should be a problem to do what you want to do. the one problem i am having is that i’m not sure how to handle the comparison pricing part from retailers. probably will need to get a custom module built to handle that aspect. if you’re just going to link directly to a single retailer, it will be even easier for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bydand

Total Posts:  11

Thanks for that, that’s a good question about the comparison pricing feature - I hadn’t thought of that.

The main question I have is can the checkout be bypassed some how. So, the “buy now” button could become the redirect to the suppliers site? I’m sure it’s just a code thing, but I thought I’d ask in case there was anything that I wasn’t considering. I know that most people would probably use wordpress or something similar for this type of site, but I like the way Magento works as a CMS and if it could be manipulated, then I think it would be the perfect solution for what I’m trying to do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

grooves1200

Total Posts:  122

if you search around the forums, i think there are threads on how to remove the cart function. you can create an attribute that’s an url, so you would just need to figure out how to make a buy now button that links to your supplier. basically i’m looking for a way to reproduce something like this “where to buy” in magento:

http://shopper.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc/4014-6501_9-33528933.html?tag=mncol;lst

unfortunately, i’m not a coder so i don’t think there’s any way i can replicate this myself.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community