Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

After two weeks i have given up

Aus_ratty

Total Posts:  10

Hey all just letting you know that after two weeks of trying to get this software sorted out i have finnally given up.
1st i had to change servers from qiq to 3ix which support the php5.
this actully allowed me to install with no issues but since then i have had so many other issues finialy sorting most of them out then i have a issue that after using the admin menu it wont let me back in after i log out. it will just not respond after about 5 minutes .
A similar thing will happen to the front end if install all the sample data.

I figure one day down the trace this software will be more refined untill then i’ll have to find something else to help me with my ecommerce business.

cheers

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. I hope we’ll see you back in the community in the months ahead. Thanks for feedback.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

@Aus_ratty ...am sure if you can post your problems on the forums someone could definitely help ...the forums are generally very reponsive…

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Total Posts:  38

Aus_ratty I totally understand what your going through!  I might have to join you.....

As for responsive? I hardly agree.  I seem to talk to myself a lot in the install forum. yaay for me!

I’m on my 6th day now trying to get Magento to actually work and thats using the correct system requirements.  On top of that I actually understand how to work in a server environment and I’m still having issues.

And I can hardly imagine anyone willing to spend $149.95 for a professional installation when the releases changes so frequently.  Upgrades to newer Magento releases are not included in the service. No support or service in addition to the installation is provided (this includes configuration of any kind).

This gives me the feeling of a game that looks great and has potential, then you actually go to play it and say to yourself “WTF”

Is that kind of what you were thinking Aus_ratty?  Anyway, I’m not down for the count yet but damn close!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aus_ratty

Mate ive been involved in websites and diffrent shopping cart software for many years and i thought this one would have been great with the added cms features etc.

Im not trying to put the guys down as im sure for those who it works for have had a great time with it but i dont understand why it does strange things like .

It will work for the first time you install it you can open the pages mariely without any problems but after a few clicks around the site it all of a sudden will sit and think and do more thinking till eventually (page cannot be displayed).
I dont understand that at all
or you can click add item and it will sit there and think and think but wont even display you the fields you can use.

Is anyone else having this problem ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aus_ratty

seem as though i have actully got some responces i will re-upload it and i will pm the details to RoyRubin and see if he can see the problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

UltraFlux

Total Posts:  38

Lucky you, I tried that and he told me no Individual support rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aus_ratty

oh ok .
maybe i wont be doing that then

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aus_ratty

ok done fresh install with sample data and supprise supprise i could click on a couple of pages till it basicly locks up again .

http://www.rathobbies.com.au/magento/

if you want to admin it to see if theres any thing out of place which its all still the same settings go to town .

username: admin
password: tester

Thats if you can login as sometimes it decides it doesnt want you to.

Ive had no problem with - virtuemart, joomla, bosscart, oscommerce.

I dont know whats happening Magento Hates me !

Funny thing is if i jump on another computer it will open the home page again then after a couple of clicks it gets upset again :S so confused.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

hi Aus_ratty ...hmm ... I think the sample data has screwed your environment .... I would be able to help if I have access to the phpMyAdmin, ftp access to the site. If you are comfortable giving these PM me the details. And let me know the PHP version and MYSQL version you are using.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

UltraFlux - 19 March 2008 04:25 PM

Aus_ratty I totally understand what your going through!  I might have to join you.....

And I can hardly imagine anyone willing to spend $149.95 for a professional installation when the releases changes so frequently.  Upgrades to newer Magento releases are not included in the service. No support or service in addition to the installation is provided (this includes configuration of any kind).

This gives me the feeling of a game that looks great and has potential, then you actually go to play it and say to yourself “WTF”

Is that kind of what you were thinking Aus_ratty?  Anyway, I’m not down for the count yet but damn close!

Your forgetting that this is a FREE platform that have features that an enterprise company would pay a lot of money for. Paying $149.95 sounds like its a lot of money but considering the amazing platform your getting and the hard work and dedication that the Magento team is putting into this, I’d say its worth it. A lot of people forget that Open Source platforms can only stay afloat by charging for different services in order to produce capital to offer additional free upgrades support. So it still amazes me how some people complain. Just my 2 cents.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

Vutha - 20 March 2008 06:39 AM

Your forgetting that this is a FREE platform that have features that an enterprise company would pay a lot of money for. Paying $149.95 sounds like its a lot of money but considering the amazing platform your getting and the hard work and dedication that the Magento team is putting into this, I’d say its worth it. A lot of people forget that Open Source platforms can only stay afloat by charging for different services in order to produce capital to offer additional free upgrades support. So it still amazes me how some people complain. Just my 2 cents.

I think he was saying he wouldn’t pay $150 for a PRE-release installation because a new upgrade comes out every other week (and therefore he might have to pay $150 again).

Paying $150 for a RELEASE version is fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Hi Aus_Ratty..... have got your magento store installed ...check out
http://www.rathobbies.com.au/magento/index.php/

I shall PM the admin details. For some reason I think it is better to refrain from uploading the sample data. Maybe you have not run it to completion and that corrupted your previous installation. Anyway, I have presently created one product manually - Steel Rods. Play around the UI and enjoy the wonderful product that Magento is smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

Just wait for the production release before you give up.  These are beta releases, and therefore are expected to have issues.  These releases are really meant for developers to help debug the code, not for anyone trying to actually use the software in a live environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marqpdx

Total Posts:  2

i have managed to get our alpha test store up, w/ the 19Mar beta version.
you can check it here:
http://cradlemoon.net/

the way i look at it, i am learning where all the code is (managed to change logo and header background) and how to get products in. i read that importing products is buggy, but getting to know the API and structure is worth the time.

it is open source, and pre-release. one way to look at it is that if they were commercial software, they couldn’t releases anything yet, but i’d rather start learning now so i’m up to speed when 1.0 comes out.

good luck. i am convinced this venture is worth the investment.

best,
m

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community