Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

[SOLVED] Change the backend_type for a EAV attribute

deXXmd

Total Posts:  24

Hi

i have a attribute named rug_size which i created through Magento Attributes, in the menu. It is a text field, the backend_type is varchar (i looked it up in the eav_attribute)

I’m storing info representing fractional numbers. When i order by this attribute, the data get’s ordered as a string, so:
{ 1, 11.1 , 2, 4, ... }.

I would like to change the backed_type to decimal, so i get correct ordering for it, in the following order:
{1, 2, 4, 11.1, ... }

When i changed backend_type to decimal in the eav_attribute table, the attribute value is not saved when saving the product. :-(

Aftter looking into the database structure, i realized there is a table named catalog_product_entity_varchar, in which the values for my new attributes are stored. So, by simple logic, the values should be positioned in the table corresponding the datatype, consequently in catalog_product_entity_decimal.

Question:
What should i do to make the attribute save itself in the the table catalog_product_entity_decimal instead of catalog_product_entity_varchar?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

deXXmd

Total Posts:  24

OK, i solved it by myself smile

If you want to change the backend_type of an attribute:

1.  find it first in the table called eav_attribute, there are some predeffined values that you can set = {static, datetime, decimal, int, text, varchar}, in my case i want to set rug_size from varchar to decimal.
2.  go to the table called catalog_product_entity_XXX (XXX - the initial backend_type, in my case this was varchar). You will find in this table N records that have attribute_id = id of the the attribute that you have in the eav_attribute table. (N - the number of products having this attribute in their attribute_set)
3. go to the table catalog_product_entity_YYY (YYY - the new backend_type that you want to have for your attribute, in my case it was atalog_product_entity_decimal)

With all this done, all the sortings over this attribute work normally, as with numbers, not just strings.
Hope it helps smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho

Total Posts:  1702

You can refer to the following article for the purpose;
How to convert varchar type attribute to price type in magento?

Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community