Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What if I have no programming skills? 

greencollector

Total Posts:  3

Exactly how much programming would be involved in setting up an eCommerce site with Magento?

I work in marketing and specialize in seo and conversion optimization - I know a good amount of html/css - but I’m completely lost when it comes to programming.

I’ve worked a lot on the front end of aspdotnetstorefront, so I know my way around admins pretty well

So is it possible to get a site up and running without any programming skills?

The main things I’m thinking that may be difficult are:

- Setting up the Payment Gateway
- Custom Functionality (though I’m sure I can do without it)
- XML packages
- etc.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Eventually, yes.  You will be able to download and skin templates and run everything else from admin… in theory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Greencollector,
I’ll definitely testify that Magento truly is MVC, meaning the View is pretty much completely separate from the program code.  If you have a good grasp of CSS/Html then you WILL be able to layout Magento anyway you imagine it. I’ll be posting a example of a customized site in about an hour or so.  By just using the XML files and the matching .phtml files you’ll have a lot of control in your hands. And as Brandon mentioned eventually you’ll be able to more via the Admin CMS section.

I’d suggest reading up on material and just get diggin in. It’s fun when you get your hands on it.

Have a good time man, and feel free to keep making posts on your issues. I’m positive you’ll get a reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

greencollector

Total Posts:  3

Awesome - thanks everyone for the fast and informative replies.

This is def. some great news.  I’m working on getting it installed tonight, but will have to finish up tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing your site, Nick and all the rest out there.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community