Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Designing with dreamweaver problems

RickV

Total Posts:  31

Currently I’m editing the product page...It’s not looking good for a configurable problem.

So I wanted to edit it in dreamweaver. I already had a wamp server set up, because I’m programming regularly.
I already had dreamweaver because I use it sometimes.
I also read how to open .phtml files in dreamweaver.

So far so good right? Yet, designing for magento is a pain in the…

When I open a phtml file I see one white screen (in the design tab) with all php blocks.
If I select live view, I get a “permission denied”.

What should I do?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

Not sure about live view, but when I use dreamweaver to edit a template I am pretty much 100% in code view.

Is this a local install or on a server?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Rick, I have Dreamweaver CS4 (Although I use Visual Studio red face ) I have not had the problem you are speaking about, but my guess would be that you have elements that are included that you are not giving Dreamweaver permissions to access.

Are you using the local network to access the files, then putting in your remote web address to see how it looks?

Magento Community
Magento Community

spaice

Total Posts:  2

RickV - 19 June 2009 11:53 PM

Currently I’m editing the product page...It’s not looking good for a configurable problem.

So I wanted to edit it in dreamweaver. I already had a wamp server set up, because I’m programming regularly.
I already had dreamweaver because I use it sometimes.
I also read how to open .phtml files in dreamweaver.

So far so good right? Yet, designing for magento is a pain in the…

When I open a phtml file I see one white screen (in the design tab) with all php blocks.
If I select live view, I get a “permission denied”.

What should I do?

I’m getting exactly the same problem - has anyone any advice on how to solve this as I code view is too steep a learning curve for me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

Design view is useless for Magento. Sadly, without editing PHP directly you will not be able to customize anything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Template fans
Guru

Total Posts:  446

Just download a theme an try to learn how to edit PHP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spaice

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for the responses - you are of course right and I realise that my concerns were misplaced.  I had not grasped how the code is put together until I looked at some existing sites.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community