Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Base calls to Magento from external applications (no SOAP)

Tonino

Total Posts:  12

I cannot find any kind of these informations in documentation.

Wanting to call magento from an external PHP application, which are the minum calls I have to do in order to have data about categories and products?
At this moment of understanding, I do not wat to deal with stores or views, just simple and basic calls:
- Simply give a category ID and have all related data (name, childern categories, children products).
- Simply give a product ID and have all related data.

Actually I see dozens of calls in various examples, but I cannot understand which one are really necessary for calling from external applications.

Thanks,

Tonino

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Tonino,

If you simply want to retrieve the data you can make a call directly to the database, the SQL queries are quite simple.

You can even use MS ACCESS to retrieve and modify data.

Magento Community
Magento Community

edmondscommerce
Guru

Total Posts:  342

you would create a script and call Mage::app($store_id);

you can then call up category models etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tonino

Total Posts:  12

Actually, I’m using some layers which need a lof of CPU just to see the first data, so I’d love to use some simple functions, layered on Magento core, instead of writing custom SQL code.

Do you feel usage of Magento classes to be a lot more complicated?

Umhh… SQL is very easy to me… Thinking about…

Thanks,

Tonino

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community