Magento Forum

Missing menu bar for categories

jdub

Total Posts:  5

I’ve just installed Magento, and after some experimentation and digging, I can’t seem to figure out how to get the top menu bar (representing the different categories to appear).

I’ve traced it down to be related to the top.phtml file, but how can I make use of it?

I have 2 products setup in 2 different categories to try out.  The categories are active too.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ikuzyk
Magento Team

Total Posts:  60
Ternopil, Ukraine

You need to create root catalog for your store and assign your 2 categories to this root catalog.
Hope its help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jdub

Still no go.  Here’s what I’ve done:

- Deleted all categories.  Only “Categories” folder remains
- Add category called “Root”, w/ parent category “Root Category”, Active “Yes”, Anchor “Yes”
- Add another category called “First”, w/ parent category “Root”, Active “Yes”, Anchor “No”
- Goto “Category Products”, search for item to be added, check box and save.
- Add another category called “Second”, w/ parent category “Root”, Active “Yes”, Anchor “No
- Goto “Category Products”, search for item to be added, check box and save.

The result under Categories, is now:

Root (2)
|__ First (1)
|__ Second (1)

Saved everything, reload main page.  No go.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jdub

I should also mention that when I deleted all categories, and add a new one.  There is only “Root Category” under parent category, and not “Root” as in the online demo at official magentocommerce site.

Does this warrant a re-install?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jfbonham

Total Posts:  27

I and others had the same problem and solved it on this thread…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4250/

You need to make sure you select the root category in the configuration. Follow my steps and you should be sorted. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

positivesoso

Total Posts:  10

i can not find the root category too.and i think i must re install the magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

hendrik71

Total Posts:  2

OOH MY GOOOOODDDDD, so simple… i took 2 days off and could not find out myself. Now i can hit me… HARD !

Magento Community
Magento Community

govnerssecret

Total Posts:  12

My issue is obviously not something that I can correct in the dashboard area...i think i messed up the html or something… but maybe someone in your post might be able to shed some light… or you yourself…

I was attempting to remove the footer links this morning (search, advanced search and returns portions of the bottom footer links), and somehow along the way I still have the footer but lost my navigational bar!

Can anyone please assist me with suggestions on how to get it back?  I am not that technically savvy, probably shouldn’t have even tried to change the footer links to start with, but the navigational bar is definitely a MUST have!  :( I am using version 1.7.0.2

I am aware how to activate the categories to appear in the navigation bar, I’m sure it’s a html issue, but I have no idea where to look to correct what might be preventing the bar from now showing.  The files accessed today were page.xml and footer.phtml… but no changes were made other than to try to get rid of the bottom footer links.

Any help or suggestions would be so wonderful.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community