Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

pdo_mysql Hosting problems. 

Chris_Fierce

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I’ve searched the forums about the pdo_mysql problem, but none of them seem to solve my problem.

I have 4 sites hosted by 3 different companies here in the UK (strange, i know, but its a long story) I tried the software on each host but the pdo_mysql problem always pops up, i contacted each of them to see if they can add the extension but got pretty much the same answer

I’m afraid the pdo_mysql modules do not come as part of the standard CPanel package. We therefore cannot install them as this would affect the overall configuration of the server and the other clients,

What i know about how servers work you can write on the back of a cigarette packet, so im pretty much stumped on how im going to use your software, as i guess alot of people in my situation will be in the future.
Is there some kind of workaround for this or is there some information on this that i can send to my hosts that might make them change their minds?

I really like the look of the software but if i cant sort this then im stuck in the Oscommerce wilderness.

Cheers for any help in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

Hello Chris_Fierce! This should help your lack of pdo_mysql issue. http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/installing-magento-on-a-php4-server

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris_Fierce

Total Posts:  3

Thanks for your reply. Worked fine smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

johngoodwin

Total Posts:  2
Hamilton, Canada

Just to avoid starting a new thread - I got the pdo_mysql error, and a similar response from the server admins. Actually, they said this: “All tested and certified PHP module/extension are currently installed on the server.”
I’m on a server with php 5.2, and I took a quick look at the work around, which, to be honest, looks more complicated than I want life to be right now. Is it true that pdo_mysql is not ‘tested and/or certified’ and does that really matter, or is it an excuse? And if it isn’t an excuse, shouldn’t Magento be going for at least a better alternative way to install? Just wondering how I can get started with this great looking software....

Thanks

John

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@johngoodwin: http://us3.php.net/pdo

Nowhere on this page it says that this extension is experimental.

It says that PDO is included into default PHP distribution since PHP 5.1.0 (2005)

PHP team feels so confident with PDO that they plan to move all other non-PDO extensions into pecl later and leave only PDO distributed by default with PHP (2005)::
http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html#move-non-pdo-db-extensions-to-pecl

I was trying to google any mention that PDO is any less certified or tested than other PHP extensions and couldn’t find.

I would be interested to know of the resources your system administrators rely upon in making the decision of which extensions are tested and certified and which ones are not.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johngoodwin

Total Posts:  2
Hamilton, Canada

Thanks Moshe! I’ll fire it back at the hosting company, and see what their response is.

Must say, too, once I got over the groaning (aka whining) that the php 4 work around isn’t that arduous. Just seems to bad when I’m already on a server that should work.

John

Magento Community
Magento Community

AussieBrad

Total Posts:  1

Moshe - 24 March 2008 07:59 AM

@johngoodwin: http://us3.php.net/pdo

Nowhere on this page it says that this extension is experimental.

For us host that use CPanel./WHM, we get the following statement “unsupported experimental” for the PDO module, which is installed for the PDO-MySQL Module. (see attached)

On a CPanel/WHM System, if the CPanel team say its un-supported/Experimental module in there eyes, then we do think twice !
After all, host, like myself, like proven modules. And normally, proven means less hassles at the end of the day (Normally).

Thought I’d give a hosters prospective.
Have a client installing your program and asking the same thing smile
But I am not saying no…
I’m saying I will look into it smile

Brad

Image Attachments
PDO-MySQL.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community