Product Type is invalid or not supported in rows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  854

Hello,

If you receive this error message while import, most likely it means that you have empty value for the field “Product type” (type_id).  This field should contain the information that specifies to which type the product belongs, in other words if it is one component or complex. Here should be specified: simple, configurable, virtual, downloadable, grouped or bundle value. Note that it is case-sensitive and values should not be capitalized.
Also Magento is very peculiar about column names and they should be the same as database names in order for the file and information in it to be recognized by the system.

Read this article with detailed description of the fields and data that should be included in your file for import -
http://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/required-csv-file-values-for-error-free-magento-import-via-admin

Magento Community
Magento Community

dougmc

Total Posts:  11
Taunton, Somerset, UK

junedbca - 13 July 2013 07:44 AM

You need to provide more information. Are you using Dataflow Profiles or not? What columns does your CSV file contain? What version of Magento are you using? What data is in rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? Are there other rows, ones that Magento didn’t complain about?

The following might help, but if not then please answer the above questions in your reply.

I found this problem, or something very similar (it actually just said “not supported” instead of “invalid or not supported") when using basic import, after getting exasperated with all the bugs and traps in Dataflow Profiles. One big advantage with the basic import is that if you’re importing updates to existing SKUs then you don’t have to provide all this redundant data like attribute set, product type, price etc. etc.

I was using Community Edition 1.7.0.2. Being a basic import I only had 3 columns in my CSV: sku, and a couple of custom attributes called “datasheet” and “resources”. The problem in my case it appeared to be the fact that one of the rows (only one was rejected out of 300) was a bundle product - my CSV didn’t specify this, it was simply that the SKU was that of an already-existing bundle product and Magento was clever enough to realise this - and apparently the “datasheet” attribute was not in use for bundle products. So when it said “product type is not supported” what it meant was “attribute is not supported for this product type”.

My only real complaint, apart from the error message not really being informative enough, is that it was lying.

The “datasheet” attribute was valid for all product types. After importing the other 299 rows successfully, I manually copied and pasted the content into the offending attribute via Catalog > Manage Products, and then there was no problem at all. I have checked the CSV in a text editor and I can see no other possible explanation.

That doesn’t mean it’s the explanation in your case of course, but it’s something you could check. See what product type the offending rows are (simple? configurable? bundle? etc), and see if the attributes you’re importing have the appropriate product type set under “valid for product type” (Catalog > Manage Attributes). Also, check the Attribute Set that the products are using, and check that the attributes you’re importing are included in that set.

Magento Community
Magento Community

montro617

Total Posts:  1

junedbca - 13 July 2013 07:44 AM

i just found the problem the type attribute in the file needs to be _type good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community