Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to get the Category list on the left pane

VinciRufus

Total Posts:  7

Hi,
I’m running ver 1.3.2.1 and I’m just not able to get to show the categories on the left pane.
All my categories are showing up on the top nav bar..
Could you please let me know what do I need to do to get the categories on the left pane for the homepage itself
I’ve tried modifying my catalog.xml file as below. I think I need to set a catagory as a default category or featured or something?
I’ve selected the 2 column with left and also tried the 3 column layout but the categories is always on the top.

Another question is, from where do I control the position of various blocks.. like for example I want the Newsletter to be on the right hand column instead of the left. Can this be done via the admin or does it need to be done in the xml files

--------------------------------
<!--
Default layout, loads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- Mage_Catalog -->
<reference name="top.menu">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="left">
<block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="right">
<block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
<block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="footer_links">
<action method="addLink" translate="label title” module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
</reference>

</default>

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community