Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Two Root Categories in One Store? 

cab

Total Posts:  15
Adelaide, Australia

Hi.

I was hoping to use the Tag system but realised I cannot add tags to products in admin without using the front end as well which I was hoping to avoid.

So, I have been trying to setup another Root Category to add existing products to, with the idea that I could have two navigation items in my single store:
- the usual products listed by my “ROOT” root category, and (a drop-down from my menu)
- another using my “TAGGED” root category. (a list in a sidebar somewhere)

The attached image shows my two Root Categories.

When the “Men” or “Women” subs are displayed under “ROOT” I can hit them easily enough via men.html and women.html but when I move them to “TAGGED” those URLs just 404.

From what I have been reading I thought this would work, but it isn’t.

If it turns out that I need to display them under the single Root Category “ROOT”, is there a simple way in admin to suppress them from displaying in my drop-down menu.

Or, am I barking up the wrong tree and should just use the Tag system?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
cab.

Image Attachments
mag_root_cats.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community