Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Selling the same fabric at different lengths with different prices without crating multiple “simple products”

chump

Total Posts:  5

Hello,

I’ve spent considerable time playing with Magento over the last couple of days and have bought and followed the User Guide and had a good look through all extensions.

I would like to move my store which primarily sells fabric from the bolt, to the Magento system, but in order to do this I would like to get some information on the following:

I sell fabric in 4 different units. These are (with approx price multiplier in brackets):

- Metre (1)
- Half-Metre (0.5)
- Fat Quarter (0.25)
- Long Quarter (0.25)

I would like these options to be selected by way of a drop-down on the product page.

From reading through the user guide, I can see that one way to achieve this would be to create 4 x simple products for each fabric and then 1 x configurable product to bring them all together. As I stock in excess of 600 different fabrics, this would mean the entry of 3000 products to sell them like this. As well as being long winded, the data duplication side of this very much worries me for tidiness and product modification in the future.

I can understand that this method (4x simple 1x configurable) would be appropriate for different styles of a suit (example given in the user guide), however I am effectively only selling the one product and do not need to treat each simple product differently other than the price and length quantifier. Also, I cannot see if there is a way to change the price on the front-end product view screen to 8.95 per metre or something similar.

I very much like the ecommerce system from what I’ve seen and would love to move over to it. If anyone could point me in the right direction here (even if it is an extension required etc), i would be very grateful.

Thanking you in advance,

Mark

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Pharez

Try creating the 4 different simple products for your different units. Then, create one bundle product for your fabric and bundle your units together with the fabric. Hope this’ll work. Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

chump

Pharez - 14 June 2009 11:33 PM

Try creating the 4 different simple products for your different units. Then, create one bundle product for your fabric and bundle your units together with the fabric. Hope this’ll work. Good luck

Thank you very much for your reply.

It seems that you’re suggesting that I create 4x Simple Products and 1x Bundle Product for each fabric (as there’s no way to create a “generic” / “nameless” Simple Product as far as I can see).

If that is true then this would mean creating 5 products in Magento per fabric…

This is what I’m really trying to avoid. Is there another way?

Cheers,

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

sssmedia

Total Posts:  3

I was just about to ask almost exactly the same thing; the store I’m working on is selling boxes, which have three dimensions that need to be configurable by the user to bespoke requirements, from which the price can then be calculated dynamically.

Magento doesn’t seem to offer this functionality unfortunately, though. Are there any extensions out there that might do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chump

ok, I understand what you’re saying now and am happy to be able to use the same set of simple products for each fabric of a certain price.

however the “Price as configured: £ 0.00” and the “+” in the drop down lists is a little untidy. is there an easy way to alter this configuration to loose both of these?

thanks again,

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community