Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

importing images fails

yourfriendllc

Total Posts:  3

I am using the bulk importer for importing product inventory but I can’t seem to get the image fields correct.  I am not failing, and the image file location appears in the database, but no image gets shown in the store product view or list. 

I am prototyping in perl to create a tab-delimited text file for bulk import.  This is what I am doing, so correct me where I am doing it wrong, please:

sub importimage($){
        my $img 
shift;

my $fpath $img;

$fpath =~ s/[^\/]+$//;

my $fname $img;

$fname =~ s/^\Q$fpath\E//;

return "" if $fname eq "";

my $fltr substr($fname,0,1);

my $fltr2substr($fname,1,1);

mkdir $fltr if not -e $fltr;

mkdir "$fltr/$fltr2if not -"fltr/$fltr2";
        if(
not -"$fltr/$fltr2/$fname")

{

`wget -O "$fltr/$fltr2/$fname" "$img"`;

}

if(-"$fltr/$fltr2/$fname"){

`chmod 777 "$fltr/$fltr2/$fname"`;}

return "/home/michell5/www/store/media/catalog/product/$fltr/$fltr2/$fname";
};

$exchfields{$prodid}{"image"importimage($$fldref{"IMAGE_URL"});
$exchfields{$prodid}{"thumbnail"$exchfields{$prodid}{"small_image"$exchfields{$prodid}{"image"};# = $exchfields{$prodid}{"gallery"} = $exchfields{$prodid}{"media_gallery"};
$exchfields{$prodid}{"thumbnail_label"$exchfields{$prodid}{"small_image_label"$exchfields{$prodid}{"image_label""";

So, that is, I am getting the remote image url from my supplier site, downloading it to media/catalog/product/<firstletter>/<second letter>/<imagename.jpg> ... then I am setting the tab-delimited fields of my import file to in the fields named “image” and “thumbnail”.  Anything wrong yet?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Just put the images in the media/import (or is it upload) folder. Make sure the permissions are such that they can be read (644)

Magento Community
Magento Community

yourfriendllc

Total Posts:  3

Hmmm, well reading through the PHP code base, I am not getting an idea of how the actual import from the csv to the db is really being done (by the importer).  Ideally, I would be able to import directly into the database, it seems that I am missing what the code actually does to the csv fields to get them into their respective tables.  Any hints?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fxchain

Total Posts:  40

This is what worked for me. I uploaded all the files in media/import then used the below .csv in System > Import\Export. No need to map any fields.

"store","websites","attribute_set","type","sku","category_ids","has_options","name","url_key","gift_message_available","meta_title","meta_description","custom_design","options_container","url_path","image","small_image","thumbnail","weight","price","description","short_description","meta_keyword","custom_layout_update","status","visibility","tax_class_id","enable_googlecheckout","color","qty","min_qty","use_config_min_qty","is_qty_decimal","backorders","use_config_backorders","min_sale_qty","use_config_min_sale_qty","max_sale_qty","use_config_max_sale_qty","is_in_stock","low_stock_date","notify_stock_qty","use_config_notify_stock_qty","manage_stock","use_config_manage_stock","stock_status_changed_automatically","special_price","special_from_date","gallery"
"admin"
,"base","Default","simple","20 P","247,232,15,10,229,243",0,"Silver Chrome",,"Use config",,,,"Block after Info Column",,"/20 P-2.jpg","/20 P-2.jpg","/20 P-2.jpg",2,38,"Deep Gray with Intricate Light Blue & White Designs","Deep Gray with Intricate Light Blue & White Designs",,,"Enabled","Catalog, Search","Taxable Goods","Yes",,1000,0,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,1,,,1,0,1,0,,,"/20 P-3.jpg;/20 P-4.jpg;/20 P-5.jpg;/20 P-6.jpg;/20 P-7.jpg;/20 P-8.jpg;/20 P-9.jpg;/20 P-10.jpg"
"admin"
,"base","Default","simple","21 P","15,10,149,105",0,"Red Chrome",,"Use config",,,,"Block after Info Column",,"/21 P-2.jpg","/21 P-2.jpg","/21 P-2.jpg",2,38,"Red with Intircate Black & White Designs","Red with Intircate Black & White Designs",,,"Enabled","Catalog, Search","Taxable Goods","Yes",,1000,0,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,1,,,1,0,1,0,,,"/21 P-3.jpg;/21 P-4.jpg;/21 P-5.jpg;/21 P-6.jpg;/21 P-7.jpg;/21 P-8.jpg;/21 P-9.jpg;/21 P-10.jpg"
"admin"
,"base","Default","simple","22 P","104,218,15,10,133,151",0,"Navy Chrome",,"Use config",,,,"Block after Info Column",,"/22 P-2.jpg","/22 P-2.jpg","/22 P-2.jpg",2,38,"Dark Navy with Intricate Yellow & White Designs","Dark Navy with Intricate Yellow & White Designs",,,"Enabled","Catalog, Search","Taxable Goods","Yes",,1000,0,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,1,,,1,0,1,0,,,"/22 P-3.jpg;/22 P-4.jpg;/22 P-5.jpg;/22 P-6.jpg;/22 P-7.jpg;/22 P-8.jpg;/22 P-9.jpg;/22 P-10.jpg"

Just copy and paste that into a text file and open with excel. The file attachment is not working for me on this forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community