Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How much would you pay for a theme? 

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

Magento Connect sounds like it is going to be a place where designers and developers can sell their add-ons and themes.

What would be the upper limit you would pay for a Magento theme (not individually customised)?

Also, is Magento going to set a price structure for Magento Connect or leave it up to providers to set their own prices?

I’d love to hear from anyone thinking about designing and selling themes.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I plan to offer themes for Magento Connect, and am looking at a price point between $49 and $99 depending on the features I offer with either. I don’t think it’s a matter of “how much will you pay” as much as it is “what features will your theme offer for the price”. I can’t dish too many more details at this point in time, but I’m sure you’ll see soon enough!

Hope this helps! cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

London, United Kingdom

Thanks Scott. It will be really interesting to see how Magento Connect evolves. Cant wait! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

I’m not sure I’m allowed to share this blurb, so I won’t. rasberry

Anonymous Tip: “Magento Connect, at first, will point buyers to an external site: the site of the theme designer. So be prepared by having a Magento shop with your themes up and running ready for buyers.”

I’m going to naturally assume that it will be fully integrated with the site as soon as M supports digital downloads. cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

London, United Kingdom

In that case I better get to work!

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

No problem. I’m certainly excited to see what the community can put together. Also, I did not intentionally leave out programmers/developers of Magento modules. Same goes for them too, I was primarily just focused on the thread topic of theme design.

Also addressing another question of yours, Flowstack. To my knowledge, there is no plan to standardize the pricing structure for Magento contributions at this time. It could be something the team will consider in the future, then again maybe not. In any case, it would be somewhat tough to restrict pricing as it is. Who’s to say one design isn’t much more involved than another? I take pride in the quality of my work, and I’m likely to put more time and effort into it. Other designers might tweak a few things and call it a theme. I won’t say whether that’s right or wrong… by original Tealo theme (see signature) didn’t deviate too greatly from the standard theme on the inside. But if I offer a fully customized theme and have modified a great deal of the base design, I will want to sell it for more than someone who’s selling their simply-modified theme.

Same deal for programmers. Some may add a simple contribution, others may add a heavier contribution. Pricing should clearly be different… although simpler contributions should indeed be free as a way of giving back to the project for all the money it could potentially earn you. wink

Hope that makes sense.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

Considering the number of hours it takes to customize and create a magento theme (remember, time is money), i suspect that you could sell them for a good amount of money at first. Once the market becomes saturated with them though the price will probably have to drop to become competitive.

My first thought was I would pay $20 for a theme, but I think scott is right, probably $50 is still reasonable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

James B

Total Posts:  19

Speculating on the price of themes is a little silly really. The very defintion of theme is too broad. I feel that the themes offered for sale will fall into three main categories, and all priced acordingly. 1) Total modification, with customised graphics. 2) Minor changes 3) just a new logo. Then you will have to concider the quality of the theme. For example with other cart solutions (yes im looking at you Zen Cart) the quality of templates varies conciderablely. Some work well within the framework of the application, whereas others are poorly exicuted hacks. The bottom line is, people will pay whatever the theme is worth to there particular site. And then there will be the template collectors who will lap all the free to low cost ones up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

sdb - 27 March 2008 02:33 PM

Considering the number of hours it takes to customize and create a magento theme (remember, time is money), i suspect that you could sell them for a good amount of money at first. Once the market becomes saturated with them though the price will probably have to drop to become competitive.

My first thought was I would pay $20 for a theme, but I think scott is right, probably $50 is still reasonable.

20$ for a theme??? utterly ludicrous. thats barely a half hour worth of work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

London, United Kingdom

I agree. For a header colour change maybe but for anything more, I’m expecting $150 upwards.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

iblastoff - 28 March 2008 03:00 AM

20$ for a theme??? utterly ludicrous. thats barely a half hour worth of work.

Depends on if it’s a one off theme or one that’s more generic and sold a thousand times over.  For a custom job, $20 is crazy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Personally I wouldn’t pay for a theme, but that’s probably because I’m a designer and I know what I’m doing with css.

As a general rule, $35/hour is a starting point for design freelance.  Don’t cheat yourself out of what you deserve for your time - once one person starts that it hurts all involved, including themselves.

Good luck to those of you wishing to sell themes - someday I may have time for that.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

As a designer, I do take pride in my work, and the quality shows through. So for me, a theme will be more involved than simply changing some graphics and colors. I also have a specific workflow and prefer a simpler, better organized CSS, so anything I release will be more than just a visual change, it will be a structural deviation from the standard theme that comes with M. Nevertheless, themes take a sidebar to client work, for obvious reasons. cool smile

While on the topic of themes/templates and the like, I’ll vent a little about template shops vs. quality control. I do NOT use templates, all my client-work is custom. But a couple years ago I had a client that runs an advertising agency and he subcontracted me for his Web work. The guy was obsessed with templates, and I did at least 4 sites that were based on Template Monster templates. These templates were horrible where quality was concerned. I opened one template and it DID NOT render in standards mode. I ran it through the W3C validator and it had something like 200 errors! Most of them due to missing table tags (yes, they used tables for layout). Each template had to be completely overhauled (not just simply tweaked) in order for it to be standards-compliant. This clearly ended up costing the client more than the cost of the template, but I would not work on the site otherwise, because I would not have him coming to me when things went wrong on a site I didn’t code.

So you can see that quality needs to exist in any template or theme that is sold commercially, but unfortunately, there’s no indication of quality before a template or theme is purchased, especially if all you see is a screenshot of the design. That’s why I don’t care for templates. They’re usually 50% of the quality they should be. but even if I’m selling a theme at $50, I still want there to be a level of quality in the code. I want to build a good rapport with the quality of my work, so I will always go the extra mile where possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

I would think that a professionally designed, unique theme for Magento would cost at a bare minimum of one thousand dollars and more realistically in the 2-3K range with follow up support. 

Some may find this number high, however a professional theme will will be stable with upgrades and have proper code separation.  You could expect standards compliance, an SEO friendly and usable design that represents your organization.

For many Magento clients/users this is a small cost of business that is tax deductible that just makes sense.  I understand that there will always be the need for $20 templates but it should be fully understood that you do get what you pay for.

Kind regards,
Richard

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Northwest Ohio

This site has some [insert derogative adjective] “free skins” for pretty cheap.

Especially considering they are illegally using the Magento trademark in their domain name, as well as the word “free” which their themes clearly aren’t. They also look pretty stock to me. “List price” is $49.99 though, seems like someone’s been watching this thread, because a couple weeks ago, they were only $25 and there was no list price. Looks like they’ve raised their “free skin” prices. Hilarious.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hadifarnoud

Total Posts:  210
Guildford, Surrey, UK

one magento custom theme should be between 1000$ - 3000$
but if you mean something like templatemosnters 100$ is reasonable

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community