Magento Forum

A couple of questions/issues

feauteau

Total Posts:  2

For someone I need to import an excel sheet with lots of records. These are various brands, models, per model specific model info, and per specific model info the years of production. There are products that needs to be coupled to the specific years of the model info.

This result in the following category tree structure:

Main Category/Brand/Model/{Model Specific Info}/Years of Production

Example:

Main Category/Wolf Garten/Lawnmower/Specific Diesel Motor/08-01/09-03

The years coused a problem when importing with Magmi, since the option to specify another tree level seperator doesn’t work for me. I
modified the forward slash to a trailing one, but I want to deal with that issue. Has anyone an idea at this point?

Now imagine that there are thousands of records (5000+ in this case, only for the specified product group!), because each category has several subcategory’s. Loading this amount of category’s everytime a page loads (wich is the case now) generates too much server load and takes too much bandwith. That’s not the only issue, many times I get PHP memory limits, time outs, and I haven’t spoken of computers who just can’t handle this. (When I save the homepage, at is around 2,5MB, that’s far to heavy!)

Remember that these ‘categories’ have the function to find the right ‘accesoire’ by the right product. Perhaps there is a more efficient way to accomplish this?

The last question for now, can SKU’s when importing with magmi overlap each other for different imports? For example, file one has SKU 100-4987, can I start renumbering with the following import like 100-3956, or does it need to be 5500-9456?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dweeves
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  877
FRANCE

That’s a “category anti-pattern” , as i described in my blog post here :
On good usage of magento categories

for your / problem , Weird that the category escaping does not work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

feauteau

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for the explanation, but that leaves me with nothing more then question marks.

Assuming it are car parts, and they are seperated in each row, like:

Citroen | C5 | Engine | Year
Citroen | C6 | Engine | Year

How would I import this the correct way? I need to convert this to a CSV, what I did, but thanks to your great explanation I\’d need to start all over again.

But since you are the creater of the module I used, I gues you (or someone else) will have a clue for me that saves me tons of work rather then entering everything by hand?

Assume I want to have a page with tiles: \"Products per Use\” ((Opens new page) -> Lawnmawer, Strimmer, E.t.c. (Opens new page per selected item) -> E.t.c.) , \"Products per Brand\”, \"Other Product Cat. 1\”, \"Other Product Cat. 2\”

Thanks again!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community