Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

The Question & Answer + Suggestion for Static Content ex// footer_links

Primary Numbers

Total Posts:  17

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to edit:
footer_links

I found the reference in .phtml file, and then in the default.xml but then I wasn’t able to find a text doc with the footer link info so I could edit it… finally I stumbled across the static block code in the CMS area of the admin.  I suppose this is fine to have this static block editable here.. but I’m assuming that instead of saving the blocks to pages that can be edited inside of a text doc it is saving the static info to the database.  I think that a better system would be to create pages inside of the file structure that can be edited.. (if this is the case I’m very sorry).  The biggest advantage is that it allows you to work locally and upload the files without having to change things through the admin backend twice, it seems a little silly that any work is required from the admin editor to change content.  Same goes for the static pages (about us), ect.  I figured these should at least be saved somewhere that is editable… and not in the database.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Hey Primary,
I typed a reply to this.. but I guess I hit preview instead of Submit .. my bad.

I’ve been making alot of changes to Magento just to see how flexible it is, and when It comes to the footer I think you can place static content.. it’s within the .phtml file.

In Default.xml, it sets the footer’s template to use footer.phtml

<block type="page/html_footer" name="footer" as="footer">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/html/footer.phtml</template></action>

The file is located in the templates folder at /templates/page/html/footer.phtml.  You can set your static content within that .phtml template. Is that what your talking about?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Primary Numbers

Yes you could do it that way for sure, there is no reason why you couldn’t.  I just figured that they would want to stick with .xml imports for everything, I personally think it is far superior to go ahead and hard link your footers in the .phtml file than to create a seperate .xml file but if we going to create this endless list of .xml files I didn’t see the point in having some be accessed via the database and some accessed via text files. (maybe it’s faster.. but I don’t think so...) What i’m talking about is that the footer_links are accessed via a static block in the CMS module of the administrator.  Takes some time to figure that out.. is there some potential power there.. ya, you can create all kinds of static blocks that can be accessed via teh default.xlm however.. they can only be worked on via the admin cms module.. you can’t edit them outside of there right...?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

Primary Numbers - 12 September 2007 03:17 AM

...it seems a little silly that any work is required from the admin editor to change content…

Not really, quite a few online systems work this way too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Primary Numbers

I mean is it superior for huge chunks of code tho?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

The CMS we use, stores it’s templates in the system (database). You can’t just edit them locally and ftp them up…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jrochman

Total Posts:  24

Although it requires 4 extra steps to do so, why not just copy and paste into the local editor and then copy and paste back into the static block on the CMS?  I really think that MODx has one of the most elegant and flexible ways of templating.  I would be interested in hearing the Magento Team’s thoughts on the Pros and Cons of their templating system in comparison to the one MODx utilizes.  Although it stores its templates, chunks (mini templates for smaller components...think sidebar cart), and php snippets in the database, if the cut and paste bothers you, you can edit them locally with something like this:

http://piratemachine.org/software/commandcontrol.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

edge

Total Posts:  13
Hemel Hempstead, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England

Modx is a very nice and highly flexible templating framework CMS solution. I suspect there may be a few people interested in integrating MODx with Magento. I would be interested to hear from anyone else who is interested in some good integration between these applications.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tonedoggydogg

Total Posts:  28

NickL - 12 September 2007 04:11 AM

Hey Primary,
The file is located in the templates folder at /templates/page/html/<b>footer.phtml</b>.  You can set your static content within that .phtml template. Is that what your talking about?

In case any one can’t find this file (footer.phtml), it’s actually a text file located in:
[magento folder]/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/html

Well, at least that’s where it was located when I went searching for it. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo

Total Posts:  6

Anyone can tell where is and how edit the “Sitemap”, “Search Terms”, “Advanced Search” and “Contact us” links in the footer. I spend hours and hours in the code and in this forum and i can´t find them. I just need translate them for a spanish website. Please any help?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community