Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product import times

Nick Edwards

Total Posts:  5

I’m importing 3500 products to Magento. The first time I did it I did not have any images linked to the products, the import was relatively fast. I have since uploaded all the images to a specified location and have run the import routine again. This time it is taking hours to run. Is this normal?!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Store_Manager
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  867

Hello,

Actually, the speed of import depends upon server memory limit and server resources. And images usually take more time to load, especially if they are multiple ones.
Magento is fully-featured platform, but it is either heavy-load one. It is happening because particularly during each change, the request to the server is made. In order to avoid server overload you should consider server with high performance. The main principle to obtain fast page loads is: the more data have been added to your multiple stores by means of Magento import, the larger the server resources should be.

In case you are interested, here is the article with details -
http://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/tipstricks/how-many-products-it-is-possible-to-import-to-magento-will-it-work-for-a-million-of-products

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community