Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Compatible Hosting Companies

Anjanesh

Total Posts:  136
Mumbai, India

I suggest you add compatible hosting solutions for Magento ecommerce on your system requirement page.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

A list of companies is available in the wiki. This is obviously a partial list as there are thousands of web hosts that are compatible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

@Roy - the current wiki article only lists hosting companies that offer free Magento installation
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento-web-hosting
As a result the list seems mainly to include smaller hosting companies that are interested in tapping in to the Magento niche.

Do you think it would be alright to add a section for hosts that are known to work? (ie. bigger, more popular hosts)

There are sections with instructions for how to install on Media Temple, Dreamhost, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anjanesh

Total Posts:  136
Mumbai, India

My host HostPC seems to compatible as their servers are on Apache 2.2, PHP 5.2.5, MySQL 5.045. mysqli, PDO etc enabled.
But the eshop I need is on a GoDaddy shared server which also has the latest versions with most extensions enabled.

Magento seems to have a huge code base - will a shared-hosting environment be sufficient to handle a max of 10,000 unique visitors a day ?
Obviously when we get more than 10K unique visitors a day, I’ll move it to a VPS, but chances of too much traffic is pretty low as its an apparel shop.
Does magento consume a lot of resources for every visit (mysql queries per visit etc ?) ?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@Ross - Yes. That would be great! Excellent idea.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community