I fixed and these where the steps I took to make it work. However, before you do any of the following work disable your cache management:
1. Open Magento admin panel
2. Go to System>Cache Management
3. Check all Cache types and in the Actions box select refresh
4. Then select all Cache types and in the Actions box select disable
5. Also click Flush Magento Cache and Flush Cache Storage buttons
Now you are free to perform any changes to your store.
Now, if you upgraded and nothing works make sure that under:
System/Configuration -> Web â Default Pages /that your âHome pageâ is listed under
âCMS Home Pageâ. Also check:
System/Configuration -> Design â Packages /that your âTemplateâ is listed under
âCurrent Package Nameâ. Otherwise default takes over.
Note: your template will still come up with all its features and buttons in your browser, even if no home page is setup; this is because of the previous version configuration.
If the âHome Pageâ and âTemplateâ are not listed, add them and go into your File System and erase everything under âvar/cacheâ and âvar/sessionâ. Reload your home page: www.yourstore.com/magento/ it should work. After, all work is done enable your cache management.
Also, itâs good to check that your home page lands at the store, and to check - do the following:
1. Login to your Magento MySQL database.
2. Open the table [database_prefix]
3. Locate core_config_data.
4. Find the row with entry: ‘web/unsecure/base_url’ and ‘web/secure/base_url’ they should look like www.yourstore.com/magento/ or whatever you name your magento store file.
I hope this help someone, it took a lot to make it work!