Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento crashes on deleting var/cache

Sinotex

Total Posts:  23

Got a strange one.
Had a problem installing a Magento extension and Magento crashed with the following error message:

“$string” parameter for simplexml_load_string is empty

#0 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(488): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadString(’’, ‘Mage_Core_Model...’)
#1 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(257): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadFile(’/home/sinotexu/...’)
#2 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(171): Mage_Core_Model_Config->_loadDeclaredModules(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Config_Base))
#3 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(243): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#4 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(424): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#5 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(443): Mage::app(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#6 /home/sinotexu/public_html/magento/index.php(46): Mage::run()
#7 {main}

Restored Magento files from backup and Magento works fine in backend and front end, except if I try and do anything with the cache ... If I refresh, disable or enable the cache, Magento crashes again with the same error as above.
The same thing happens if I manually delete the cache files in var/cache. This makes me think that something has been corrupted in the database.
Would appreciate any suggestions.
Many thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ckosny
Guru

Total Posts:  349
Luxembourg

Apparently not the database,but one or more of the xml config files are not ok.

If you know a bit of PHP I suggest that you go to the file
lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php, there the function loadFile.
It looks like one of the config files read with this function is empty so with some well placed logging you should be able to find out which one so you can fix it.

Good luck…

Claudia

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sinotex

Total Posts:  23

Claudia,

Thanks for your reply and pointer.
My knowledge of php is pretty minimal - if you’ve time, can you give me a bit more detail on how to track & correct the missing function.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community