Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

PHP errors during installation

Oleg

Total Posts:  2
Moscow, Russia

Hi! I can’t install Magento after so many attempts. Here it is step by step - tell me where I’m wrong:
1) in console:

tar jxf magento-xxx.tar.bz2
cd magento
chmod -R 0777 app/etc && chmod -R 0777 var && chmod -R media

2) add “php_flag zend.ze1_compatibility_mode off” to .htaccess (required on my virtual hosting server)

3) in browser:
Open /magento/, go through first and second steps

4) back in console:

$ ./pear mage-setup
$ ./pear install mage-core/Mage_Pear_Helpers mage-core/Lib_ZF mage-core/Lib_Varien
$ ./pear install mage-core/Mage_All mage-core/Interface_Install_Default
$ ./pear install mage-core/Interface_Frontend_Default mage-core/Interface_Adminhtml_Default

5) back in browser:
Click “Continue”, fill my DB parameters on the next screen, check “Use Web Server (Apache) Rewrites”, click “Continue”
6) I get a long error which effectively means that Magento installer can’t chmod my app/etc/local.xml file.
7)

chmod 666 app/etc/local.xml
, press “Refresh” in my browser and all I get is a blank screen. Nothing helpful in my server’s logs either…

Please help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ptityop

Total Posts:  105

did you chmod the folder itself also ? if the file is chmod but not the folder could be the reason… but if you are getting this on install..quite sur it all has to do with chmod

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oleg

Total Posts:  2
Moscow, Russia

Thnx for reply - you can see in my step 1: I did

chmod -R 0777 app/etc

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptityop

Total Posts:  105

you chmod the “etc” folder.... if the app is not chmod it might not work....then again i am only supposing....the other solution is to just chmod all files and then set the right permissions once the produection release is out....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community