Magento Forum

losse

Total Posts:  69

Hi
I went to install some extensions through the admin > system > manage extensions and got the error message saying “Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions”

When I clicked on the link to find out how, it asked to set the entire directory to “777” which scares me a little bit as anyone could write on there… Is there a specific directory that can be changed as to not compromise the entire site so that I’m able to plug in extensions?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

losse - 09 June 2009 05:39 PM

Hi
I went to install some extensions through the admin > system > manage extensions and got the error message saying “Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions”

When I clicked on the link to find out how, it asked to set the entire directory to “777” which scares me a little bit as anyone could write on there… Is there a specific directory that can be changed as to not compromise the entire site so that I’m able to plug in extensions?

Thanks

if your ftp allows anonymous users to acces, then yes id be weary

but if noone else can log on except a close number of people i wouldnt worry about 777 permission.  you should always set it back to 644 / 755 after you are finished installing the modules from mag con

Magento Community
Magento Community

losse

Which directory is it that I have to set for the extensions to be plugged in?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

In SSH ...

cd magento 
chmod o
+var var/.htaccess app/etc 
chmod 
-R o+w media
cd
chmod 
-R 777 magento
The very last command only applies if you’re leaving Magento installed as is, if you’ve moved it to another directory then rename the part after 777.

Credit: Crucial on 4/9/08 @ http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5756/#t21803

Magento Community
Magento Community

losse

I meant through my FTP… just like the install where you have to open up some directories for the install to work… For the extensions, which directories do I need to set to 777? What I’ll do is open them up, install the extensions and then set them back to 755.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community