Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Allow customers to pay for membership to unlock discount

whiskeytown

Total Posts:  17

I’d like to allow customers to be able to buy a ‘gold’ membership where they pay an annual fee to unlock a set discount across all items.

I have seen that the catalog price rules can be provided on a per-group basis, this is perfect as it allows me to create a ‘gold member’ group which gives a percentage discount only to customers who are within the group.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to customise Magento so that a visitor can purchase a digital product called ‘gold membership’ which would include them in the ‘gold’ customer group.

I can see that this is not available out of the box, but do you think it would take a considerable amount of customisation?

Also, I’d love think the following would be possible to extend upon this idea in the future:
- system alerts gold member when expiration date is near
- membership automatically expires after one year, (customer can choose to extend)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mkII

Total Posts:  79

Hmm… The user buy some Virtual Product (membership) and in the cart rule we have to change the group user belongs to… So we need the possibility to change the user group from within the cart rule. Interesting, is it possible without some kind of SQL hack?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AllynWA

Total Posts:  28
Allyn, WA

Working on exactly this issue with www.webdiabetesclub.com. Purchase a membership, get a discount.

I created a product attribute on a Virtual Product called “is_membership” and made it a yes/no attribute. Then I created a shopping cart rule such that is the “is_membership” attribute was “Yes” then the customer would receive a member discount.

I have the shopping cart rule working correctly, but have been struggling to flip the member group over on completion of the order. Started an event listener but can’t seem to get at the product attributes from the Order Complete page. All of my attempts to getAttributeText() or getIsMembership() etc have returned nulls, even though I can get other attributes from the event listener code fine.

Anyone have assistance for this issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kevin Von

Total Posts:  31

This is usefull for me,too. I will build a website with this feature. Is there any extension supporting it? I want to buy one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mkII

Good news, guys!

Very useful extension is now available and it suits the task discussed above!

This extension enables you to automatically change a customers group when specific conditions are met.
Possible conditions are:
- A specific product is brought
- A certain amount of orders (or more) have been placed by the customer
- The customer has generated a certain (or higher) turnover
- An order with a specific total (or higher) is placed

http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1666/customer-group-switcher

So, it’s possible to setup a special group (members) and a specified virtual product (membership)… I believe you know what to do after that. smile

P.S. I haven’t tried it yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

Total Posts:  53

mkII: Thank you for your suggestion.
It seems vinai-kung‘s extention meets the first part of whiskeytown’s need.

“Also, I’d love think the following would be possible to extend upon this idea in the future:
- system alerts gold member when expiration date is near
- membership automatically expires after one year, (customer can choose to extend) “
It’s a subscription management feature. It’s in our to-do box LOL

Magento Community
Magento Community

mkII

needtool - 25 July 2009 07:50 AM

It seemed to me that that you are currently creating an appropriate extension that will manage subscripions, am I right?

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

mkII - 25 July 2009 08:11 AM

needtool - 25 July 2009 07:50 AM

It seemed to me that that you are currently creating an appropriate extension that will manage subscripions, am I right?

We are planning, and the priority is high . At this moment, we are collecting requirements. If you have any idea, please share it with me LOL

Magento Community
Magento Community

mkII

It’s unlikely that I will be able to tell you something new in this regard. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

Of course.  tongue wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Total Posts:  165

We are looking for a similar product.

Our membership works on a annual fee and members can join at any stage of the year so we need the membership fee to devalue from the original fee over the course of the year (or until the next membership year rolls around).

eg membership = $1200, so if a member joins up 3 months into the membership year then they only pay for the remaining 9 months. i.e. $900 = (1200 / 12) x 9.

We would def need the ability to set how long the membership is valid for.

It would be great to be able to send automatic emails to new members when their account is first created/and or when they renew their membership to confirm that the transaction has taken place also potentially a reminder “x” days after membership fees are due to remind them to signup for the coming year. So the ability to customize different emails to be sent would be a much needed feature.

It would also be great to be able to schedule emails to be sent automatically throughout the year, eg to wish member a happy christmas/easter/birthday.

Possibly the option of a reoccurring automatic payment would also be a great feature, so that instead of charging annually you could have the option to chage on a month by month basis.

We have two membership types, so the ability to create and run more than one membership at a time would be great.

As i guess you are going to create the membership group similar to as discussed above with the group switcher type of plug in I could see some minor limitations in this. As when the membership expires for the year I am presuming that the members who do not renew their membership are just returned to your general customer account? If that is the case it would be handy to somehow mark in the backend which customers have purchased memberships in years gone by, but not currently for reporting purposes. As if the membership isnt for the shop but for another part of your business (as in our case) we would lose those customers in the shear volume of customers that we have in our general group.

I will give some more thought to this over the coming days for you.

If you would like a beta tester and more input as your extension develops we would be happy to test for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

RickyFk, Got it, thank you very much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Hi there,

Have you had any luck with progressing on this over the past month? If so we would be very interested to find out when you will have a test/live version ready for trial.

If you have decided not to proceed, or have put this idea on hold we may look to develop our own extension to suit.

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

Sorry, RickyFx, we are overloaded as full ordered.

This is in development, very soon to release.
I will send you an email, to see if you want join our early test.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Great thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

N Lopez

Total Posts:  94

We are in the process of creation of a membership extension, it will come out in October. No major delays, we are on schedule. You can join our group or subscribe to the blog to be informed about the release.

Do you have an update on this extension release?
I was not able to find any information about this in your site.
What I am planing to do for my store is to have a “Members Only” pricing by including the annual membership in the cart with the first purchase. Do you plan to have something similar in your extension.
I need to know what is going to be possible to implement to start setting up my pricing and customer groups accordingly.

Thanks

Nicolas Lopez

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2