Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

MAGENTO NEWBIE - Basic Questions

Adrian UK

Total Posts:  30

Hi All,

Please forgive my basic questions but am hoping someone out there can help me. I have found some great information about what Magento can do, I understand the admin side and front end as well as the great features it offers in terms of e commerce.

Things I am not finding as clear are as follows:

*How do I change the colors within templates (e.g. navigation bars)
*How do I change the pictures within the site (e.g. can I put my own HTML page in the frame and link to my products via an image with hot spots on product pictures?)
*Do I need a developer to integrate my site with the payment gateway and merchant accounts or is this something the gateway company can sort out?
*I think all the above must be done using PHP and editing the actual pages themselves?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Adrian

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chocopink

Total Posts:  20

Ok, I taught myself how to build my site using magento. I’m not a developer or anything, just a frugal overacheiver, so here is how I did it… Hopefully this will help.

Things I am not finding as clear are as follows:

*How do I change the colors within templates (e.g. navigation bars) You have to modify your boxes.css and menu.css files in order to change the default text and menu colors which can be found here: SKIN--> FRONTEND--> DEFAULT--> YOUR TEMPLATE FOLDER NAME--> CSS
*How do I change the pictures within the site (e.g. can I put my own HTML page in the frame and link to my products via an image with hot spots on product pictures?) I’m not sure if I understand this one, but all you have to do is replace the magento files with your own, but be sure to use the same file names.  Also, you could place them in your CMS pages and then map the image to your product page.
*Do I need a developer to integrate my site with the payment gateway and merchant accounts or is this something the gateway company can sort out? I did this myself with the help of the wiki’s and my payment gateway, authorize.net.
*I think all the above must be done using PHP and editing the actual pages themselves?

I hope something I said will be of some use… Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Adrian,
If you got a program like Dreamweaver you should be able to handle 99% of the things you want to do. One of the easiest ways to do your CMS pages is to simple edit the pages in Dreamweaver or another HTML editor and copy and page the source code into the CMS form on the Magento site.

Depending on what theme you are using you can start by playing with your CSS and changing the colors as you want them. (Remember to turn off your cache)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adrian UK

Thank you so much for the replies, they really helped me out! I have been wondering and investigating whether I could do this myself and I think you guys have made that decision easy (especially since I have done a course on Dreamweaver).

Really appreciate this and chocopink your site looks absolutely fantastic.. did you design that all yourself or did you use a magento template?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chocopink

Total Posts:  20

@ Adrian UK - thanks! It is actually based on the modern template. I just changed the colors, changed the default navigation location and created my own graphics.  I am starting to get the hang Magento so I am venturing deeper into the files as my confidence grows… I’m glad you were able to get some help here.  Good luck with your site.  Be sure to post it so we can see all your hard work and great achievements!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adrian UK

Hi All,

I have moved on a lot since my original post (thanks again for the help!) but as I progress towards go live next week I still find I am basically still a newbie smile

I installed Magento under the path http://www.mycompany.com/magento as this was the default and I did not know any better… but now I want to go live I am wondering how on earth I get it to show just http://www.mycompany.com without the magento path??

Also how do I change the image from the magento logo to something I create to the left of the URL in a browser?

Thanking you for your patience (I guess we all have to start somewhere)

Thank you,
Adrian

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Adrian,
You can set your web root in your.htaccess file and then set your URL in Magento. That will get rid of your directory.

Your hosting provider might be able to take care of the .htaccess file. You will need to go in to admin to change the path of Magento

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community