Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Tax rates for Australian store (but shipping worldwide from USA)

liquid2g

Total Posts:  52

Hi guys,

I’m setting up a store that will be selling t-shirts worldwide.

My business is based and registered in Australia, but all of my products will be sent from a fulfillment/shipping center in the USA.

In terms of setting up Tax in Magento, should I charge a flat 10% GST on everything?
Or am I required to tax according to where the buyer is from? eg. if the buyer was from California, would I have to add California state tax as well as GST?

I’ve been having a look around the forums but am finding it very tricky to find a clear answer on this one.

Hope someone can help!

thanks in advance
Luke

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Vee_

Total Posts:  46
Western Australia

I would suggest talking to your accountant or even the ATO - advice from the ATO is free.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

I second Vee’s suggestion. I wouldn’t base important financial decisions for my online business on advice here - no matter how sincere!  wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

shueardm

Total Posts:  19
Adelaide - South Australia

It’s a simple answer really.
Anything you sell to a location within Australia must attract 10% gst
All sales that go offshore are GST free - no TAX

However. You must keep records of shipping consignment notes etc to be able to prove that they were sold O/S.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community