Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Speeding Up Magento

tomdelonge

Total Posts:  21

Alright, so I’m probably going to host at MediaTemple (http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/pricing.php) and use the dv base for $50/ month. Unless someone can suggest someone with a good price elsewhere. Will this be fast? It says 512mb of ram. I plan on having about 2000 SKUs early on. At what point would I need to upgrade my plan to “Rage” (1gb ram).

I also am going to use one pica image cdn (http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1279/onepica-image-cdn) with amazon’s service. How much will that speed up the website?

I’m also going to run a forum (unrelated to the store) on the server, along with another website (which will be extremely small)
What else can I do to help the speed?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

If speed for your Magento store is your primary goal, then i would forget the MT plan and look at one of the Magento-optimized plans available out there (just search for Magento hosting here). There’s much more to speeding up Magento than simply putting i ton a VPS (and I’m not sure that mt plan is a real VPS).

To be fast, Magento needs heaps of RAM (up to 2Gb I believe, for some operations), really fast hard drives and optimised SQL systems.
One of the Magento-specific plans will also be cheaper than the mt plan.  I’ve been through a couple of these, so if you want a couple of specific recommendations, PM me.

Cheers

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community