Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Ability to edit orders with configurable products

KandT

Total Posts:  33

I’m surprised more people don’t need this feature. Most of our products are configurable so the fact that we can’t edit the order because it contains configurable products is more than slightly annoying!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JRoeck

Total Posts:  13

We have the same issues - it is really a missing feature - because little things like forgotten Coupon codes or change in address etc. - results in a super combersum process of required changes, order cancellation and then you need the credit card again from the customer to do all this. Would be super if somebody has some ideas here - how to solve this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

silverpenhouse

Total Posts:  72
Virginia

I have the same issue.

To edit an order I basically cancel the one which needs to be modified go through the front end of the site and reorder.

Changing address and last minute coupons should definitely be more easily handled.

Magento Community
Magento Community

KandT

Total Posts:  33

silverpenhouse - 11 June 2009 12:17 PM

I have the same issue.

To edit an order I basically cancel the one which needs to be modified go through the front end of the site and reorder.

Changing address and last minute coupons should definitely be more easily handled.

How do you get the customer’s billing information again?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tilzinger

Total Posts:  126

Bumping this to the top because I have the same issue. Can someone at Varien please provide a logical reason why items are deleted from the order when editing them? This makes no freakin sense… it keeps the billing information… why does it have to delete everything that isn’t a simple item? Did a programmer get lazy? This is probably the single dumbest thing I’ve seen in Magento. My client has to edit orders on a daily basis… what good is it that they have to re-create the order and email the person asking for their CC# b/c we aren’t storing CC#s?

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

OMG! YES!  PLEASE FIX THIS FEATURE!  This is an absolute necessity for us.  I cannot believe that Configurable, Bundle, or Grouped Items cannot be added to an order, or edited once an order has been place via the web.  Please add this functionality to the Admin Panel.  We cannot take orders by telephone as it is now.  We MUST have this feature.  How absolutely awesome would Magento be if you could actually add the Products that you build to an order?  The greatest.  Please let me know who we have to work with to get this feature working.  Catalogers or web sites with Customer Service telephone numbers cannot use Magento efficiently unless this is fixed.

Thanks so much.

Bump, bump, bump!

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Exactly.  This feature not working is a DEAL BREAKER for anyone selling Configurable, Bundle, or Grouped Items.  To bad over 3,000 of our products need to be created as these Product Types.  We need a solution immediately.  Can we pay a developer to fix this feature?  I am willing to go in on it, or fund it… I just need some answers.  Please HELP!

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

KandT - 07 June 2009 08:03 AM

I’m surprised more people don’t need this feature. Most of our products are configurable so the fact that we can’t edit the order because it contains configurable products is more than slightly annoying!

Slightly annoying?  I would said absolutely terrifying!  Especially if you plan to do any real business.  If 80% of your items are Configurable, Bundle, or Grouped Items (or a combination), then 80% or more of your time will be spent making customers unhappy.  Imagine if a customer places an order online and then calls you to change their order.  WTH are you going to do?  How about if a customer wants to purchase an item off your flyer or catalog and calls you over the telephone to place the order, what are you going to do?  You can’t even place the order through the system.

Either people just aren’t as far in the dev process, as us in the post, or their sites are their marketing plan isn’t as sophisticated, but one way or another.... without this fix, Magento isn’t a real solution for catalogers.  Webstore only.  Logistical nightmare.

Magento Community
Magento Community

epalla

Total Posts:  3

Evan at Chili Pepper Design appears to have a solution for this:

http://www.chilipepperdesign.com/2009/08/10/how-to-edit-orders-with-configurable-products-in-magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Not exactly a solution… more of a work around.  Seems that you can only edit and order with a Configurable Product, not create.  I will test it out and tell you what I come up with.  This doesn’t solve the problem of being able to add ANY AND ALL Product Types to an order.  However… I will check it out, and appreciate the help.  Thanks so much for sending the link!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pooch

Total Posts:  70
Danville, CA USA

Running up against the exact same problem. What results did you have with the Chili Pepper attempt to solve? We really need a way to edit an order without having to re-enter financial info since our gateway (payflow) wont allow us to see the ccard info anyway. It’s currently impossible to edit an order without calling the customer for their ccard again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

amuhlou

Total Posts:  1

For configurable products, I was able to find a solution.

Instead of editing how already placed orders behave in the admin, I implemented a solution that changes how configurable products are added to the cart.

I found that the Simple Configurable Products extension looks at what configuration option the user has picked, and adds the associated Simple Product to the cart instead of adding the configurable product. Since the order is placed with simple products, it is editable without having to go through and recreate the order from scratch.

One thing to note: Your simple products must have an accurate name and price because that information is now visible on the front-end.

Hope this helps someone

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Thanks for sharing.  I can also recommend to use the Edit Order Address extension if you need to change billing or shipping addresses only. It won’t cancel the original order.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageWorxcom
Guru

Total Posts:  410
Washington DC Metro Area, US

Hello,

Extended Orders allows you to edit orders using native Magento functionality avoiding canceling and re-creating new ones. This works for Configurable products too.

Hope it will help.

Have a nice day.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community