Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Menu…. 

crackers

Total Posts:  55

Hey, how do i get the main menu to work?

It seems to me that it doesnt like adding new categories?

I have added them, made them active etc and nothing appears.

What can i do?

Thanks.

Also, how can i add a home button to the menu?

Thanks,.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

When adding categories make sure that they are correctly *under* the Root Catalog item.

I had it in the wrong position and it wouldn’t show. Once correctly placed in the tree structure it will appear in the top nav, and the side nav (as long as there is at least 1 item).

--

For the ‘Home’ button you’ll can add some code to one of the template files.

Find the file called ‘top.phtml’ in app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/ and make the following change:-

<div class="header-nav-container">
    <
div class="header-nav">
        <
h4 class="no-show">Category Navigation:</h4>
        <
ul id="nav">

<!-- 
HOME BUTTON HACK -->
        <
li><a href="http://www.yourshop.com/">Home</a></li>
        <!-- 
HOME BUTTON HACK -->

<?foreach ($this->getStoreCategories(10) as $_category):?>
            <?
=$this->drawItem($_category)?>
        <?endforeach?>

</ul>
    </
div>
</
div>

Magento Community
Magento Community

crackers

Total Posts:  55

Thanks for that. i will give it a shot!

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

sticky - 12 September 2007 06:04 AM

When adding categories make sure that they are correctly *under* the Root Catalog item.

I had it in the wrong position and it wouldn’t show. Once correctly placed in the tree structure it will appear in the top nav, and the side nav (as long as there is at least 1 item).

this is the exact same thing i tried to do. i made a new category under “root” itself and was wondering what the heck was going on. anyway, since the search tool on this forum completely blows, how does one go about *moving* a category to a new parent?? seems like all i can do is delete it and then re-add it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

Yeh, I just deleted the category and added a new one… :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

bark

Total Posts:  1

I can’t seem to get the top nav to show up at all.  I’ve tried every option there is as far as adding items to a category.  I created a category in root and root catalog and also in the english store.  Nada!  Is there something that I’m missing?  Shouldn’t the nav that appears in the magento demo also appear on mine if I have at least one product inside one category that’s at root?

Magento Community
Magento Community

3sixtygroup

Total Posts:  44
Auburn Hills, MI

I understand having the correct store selected and I believe I do as I am working with the English Store now, but this was working (that is the top nav) until I started editing my store yesterday. I’m not sure what I did, but my top nav went away. Has anyone else run into this?

I’ve begun adding new categories to my English store and I see them in my magento admin but not my nav.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nivekiam

Total Posts:  30

What everyone has forgotten to mention, you have to activate the category.  I’ve just spent 20 minutes beating my head up against the wall and searching the Magento site for an answer.  Then I decided to take a closer look at the category edit pages.

Catalog > Manage Categories

Select the category you want active and scroll down and activate it.

It appears the “Root Category” doesn’t have to be active, however, if you have multiple levels of categories the parents do need to be active:

Root (not active)
--
Cat (active)
----
Toys (active)

If the category Cat is not active, then you don’t get to see the Toys sub-category of Cat.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community