Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento integration with social networking platform

srijan

Total Posts:  6

Hi,
I have an idea for a website which is essentially an ecommerce site with added social network functionality. I want to allow members to review / rate the products / services on sale. I also need members to be able to interact with each other.

I’m not quite sure how to go about this, what frameworks to base this on etc. and I need advice. I was thinking of maybe integrating am open source social networking platform like elgg with magento, and then using something like open-id to integrate members between the two. But I did a little research and this seems like a messy solution. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way for elgg to access the products in the magento database.

I think I’m going about this the wrong way. I need advice. Please help!
Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tyrion

Total Posts:  4

Much needed too!
I have seen several threads about joomla and drupal integration, but they are CMS, not social engines.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Culotta
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  878
Argentina

I saw Elgg a few months ago.
Right now I can’t remember the Elgg code structure, but I’m really sure that you can use, at least, the Magento API to access to the information.
Maybe you need to build a little bit of code to manage the reviews… but I’m not completely sure right now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community