Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Two Root Categories in one store view

StevenW721

Total Posts:  11

I’m trying to get two Category trees into one store view. Basically I want one category tree with descriptive titles like Jerseys, Shorts, etc and another with the more general categories of team names. So if I had a Cubs Jersey i’d be able to tag it with the Jersey category in the first and the Cubs category in the second. These two trees would then be two different ways to navigate the site. The problem is, the first category works fine but the second one doesn’t work, I get all 404 errors.

I hope I explained that ok, hopefully someone else on here knows how to get this working.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

StevenW721

Total Posts:  11

After a bit more digging I’m not sure it’s even possible to have two Root category trees interacting with the same store view. Can someone confirm if this is even possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

My gut says no it’s not possible to have 2 root categories in the same store.  There have been other posters in the forums in the past who’ve been doing team-oriented websites and maybe one of them with weigh in at some point. 

I’d be inclined to do one axis of your navigation using the categories and then make the other, team probably, an attribute that gets used in layered navigation.  If you do that, you can start to get tricky with how you place the layered nav to give it more prominence as another navigation path for your site.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community