Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Promotions: How do I set up a promotion for Buy X, get Y free

dan k

Total Posts:  5

Hi there!

I see this listed in the featureset (Buy x, get y free) but I’ll be darned if I can see how to set up such a promotion.  I’ve tried both as a shopping cart promotion as well as a catalog promotion but am coming up blank.

What am I missing here?

thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dan k

Total Posts:  5

Yeah, that how-to covers a case where if you buy a certain number of X, get the equivalent of the price of one of those items “free”.

My issue is that I’m selling product X.  And i want product Y to be free with purchase of X for the duration of the promotion.  I don’t see a mechanism for applying the promo pricing rules for product X to product Y.  Complicating things even further (my specialty), I want product Y to be added to cart automatically whenever product X is added to cart.

Free Audio CD with each DVD purchase.

Buy 2 DVDs… get 2 free Audio CDs. 

That’s what I need to accomplish.

thanks!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

See here for update: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4551/

Magento Community
Magento Community

moritz_a

Total Posts:  11

Currently, the rule is only applicable to ONE item, saying that when ordering a higher quantity of the same item, you get one or more of THE SAME item for free or for a reduced price.

But how do I offer a free item of one type when ordering an item of another type?
Example: Buy a camera (no matter which one) - get a memory card for free.

Greetings,
Moritz

Magento Community
Magento Community

Attan

Total Posts:  23

I found an extension that did the trick, it’s called Promotional Gift. I could create flexible rules for my BOGOF programs. The best thing is that it supports many product types: simple product, configurable product, bundle product and grouped product. Not many similar extensions on the market have this function so I’m quite impressed. Since holiday season is coming around, this is a must-have marketing tool to boost your sales
Here is where I bought it: http://www.magestore.com/magento-promotional-gift-extension.html
Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community