Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is Magento a sinking ship? 

aloecorp12345

Total Posts:  2

I posted a real problem 4 weeks ago and it’s been unanswered, I cannot get a solution for it after searching the forums for hours.

Should I keep on developing solutions for customers, or should I steer clear of your product?

for 4 weeks now, i’m trying to log in to the backend, but I get redirected to the frontpage

Is there a solution to my problem or not?

Regards

Alwyn

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

daza2304

Total Posts:  15

Im also thinking the same, i have 2 major problems and none of them answered, im very close to going back to zencart, basically because the community there are very helpfull, i wouldnt stay clear of magento as its a great piece of kit, but i do think its still not stable, if people claim it is stable then obviously the developers are not testing all these updates properly, i only had 1 extension installed on my site and that was classic theme, and now i cant add products and i cannot see what extensions i have installed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ogonkov
Guru

Total Posts:  582
Moscow, Russia

Yes, my posts usually was unanswered too grin

Probably your problems, guys, were discussed before, probably that was the reason

I fix mos of the my problems via community after much wide searching here

Magento Community
Magento Community

mightyjohn

Total Posts:  12

I just left this sinking ship. There’s always something wrong with magento. Magento is just a piece of overhyped software, nothing more.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydra
Guru

Total Posts:  378
Amsterdam

mightyjohn - 04 June 2009 07:41 AM

I just left this sinking ship. There’s always something wrong with magento. Magento is just a piece of overhyped software, nothing more.

We will miss you.
Good luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Perhaps it’s your style of posting that causes people to avoid answering.

Anyway, it certainly isn’t a sinking ship. The community is young so it’s tough getting expert answers. You may want to sign up for official support for that, if you own sysadmin and coding skills don’t suffice. Just because you can’t get a free fast answer doesn’t mean the whole project is sinking.

I also wonder whether your installation meets system requirements as mine does and I never had any problems that couldn’t be resolved with a cache flush (browser and Magento).

Magento Community
Magento Community

chopin2256

Total Posts:  12

To be honest, I don’t think any store software compares to Magento, despite the problems it has.  They do offer support, but if you run a big enough store, you most likely can afford the $9000 annual support fee.  I know I personally can’t afford this right now, but I refuse to downgrade to any other store....this software is far superior and intuitive to use.

With that said, I wish their professional support was a little cheaper, and I know it is frustrating when questions go unanswered, but I suppose free software does come at a cost after all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

Fantastic Software and more of us would love to sign up for the fully supported version, but I guess we have all to get our sales up first!

So, here goes the punchline…

If we can get our basic stores off the ground, running well and increasing our turnover in these economically interesting times, the more vital our stores will become. Then Im sure we would all love to jump into the fully corporate version! Don’t hold me back…

But we still need a bit of quick support to allow us to get there first… I see most of the Varien support tickets are dated early 2008… I know they have been busy, on tour etc..., but it really would be good to see a few more entries from the big guys. We all love ya for what you have done for us, so lets not see the romance end just yet eh?

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

magento has a lot of problems.  its a very complex system.  the community isnt very helping and neither is magento’s search system. the answers are out there somewhere though.  you have to dig in the dirt to find it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zapp

Total Posts:  19

I would say Magento is a rising star, but there are still many problems. In the forums you will get answers to the simple problems you can stumble upon. If you got more complex, technical problems you will have to help yourself. I guess there are just not so much people who have deep insights in Magento yet, and you can’t demand from a handfull of people to answer all issues.

Even in more advanced communities like TYPO3 you won’t get answers on complex problems. Most of the time you will have to discuss this stuff with developers who have a deep insight in the whole system.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community