Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

The rant thread

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

I’m making this thread because I need to vent. If it gets closed/deleted, no biggie

begin rant:

the question of whether or not i have read the design guide is not helpful. IT IS, IN FACT, THE OPPOSITE OF HELPFUL. its like me calling up tech support and them asking me if my computer is plugged in. YES I READ THE DESIGN GUIDE. i develop websites, which is a complicated process. i managed to find the forums and post on them. do you think me incapable of reading the design guide first?

i will track down the next person who asks if someone has read the design guide and STAB THEM IN THE EYE WITH THE BUSINESS END OF MY PENCIL.

i are serious cat. this are serious thread. the internet makes it hard to tell who is being serious and when they are being serious. wink

but seriously, don’t ask if i read the design guide please, ‘kay?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

dear lord, how much complaining are you going to do on here?

reading the design guide and actually having the patience and skill to understand it are completely different things. sounds like all you want are simple cut-n-paste examples on how to do things because the ‘theory’ in the design guide is well over your head.

this is from your uninformed post from an earlier thread

a few ways the design guide didnt help:
-its talking about templates, layouts, styles. all i want is 1 file that defines everything.
-then it says whenever you need something, this is how you load it. that doesn’t tell me where the thing to load is, and the template path hint only shows what is currently in the theme, not a complete list. i have no clue where some stuff is or what links to what, what images are loaded, what item is using which style, where that stylesheet is, etc. for example, if you want to change the font style that says “newsletter,” i have no clue where to find how to change that. if there is a background image in one of the table cells, where did it come from / what is its name?
-everything seems to be relative to their default layouts of 1-3 columns, none of which work as i want (the example walkthrough shows how to move something from right to left, which is fine, if you don’t want it at the bottom)

- you want 1 file that defines everything? please explain how that would make any sense at all considering magentos depth.
- the template path hints obviously only shows whats in the currently loaded theme. why would it show any more if its not actually in use? if you know the main theming/skinning directories then you should know where ‘the thing is’.
- if you have no idea how to track down what css is applied where, then you obviously haven’t been making websites for very long or you’re just not very good at it
- you’re welcome to write your own layouts. if you actually went through the guide, then you should understand enough about how blocks work in relation to each other and actually comprehend how to move things around the page (not only right to left).

magento definitely requires a certain skill level to work with. its a concept that you’re going to have to accept.

heres my rant: people whining and complaining about not being able to work with magento when its really their own limited competence that is at fault. you’re clearly not a developer nor a designer, and yet you want to accomplish both without any learning curves? yah ok good luck with that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

don’t get me wrong. i see that you’re trying to help, and it is the thought that counts, and i’m glad someone is here trying. i just wanted it to be known that the comment was the opposite of helpful. i’m still appreciative of it’s intent.

and yes, fyi, i am a developer and designer. i’ve been doing it for longer than css has existed. i already have magento working 80% of the way i want and i’m still working on it, i’m just asking for help, saying it could be easier, and giving feedback. all part of the beta testing process, no?

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

HI, I have to say , Though i admire the great job magento are doing, I think the system of releases that are buggy is causing a major headache for some of us. I understand that each release will be checked by us all, but the latest release has some pretty fundamental bugs in store management and category arrangements. It makes me feel a little uneasy after all this time so close to a candidate release, that these problems appear when earlier versions had them ironed out. I know ver 8 is quite an update with fundamental changes but I ask, when many of us report bugs, we are told that it has been fixed and will be available in the next update? well how then can we keep testing, when core functions aren’t working? and no fix is made available. The demo store seems to cracked some of our problems .

I feel Magento may get caught out, due to leaving it to next upgrades to get the problems fixed for us all. Im wondering,whats the point of upgrading? why don’t I wait to the release candidate instead of months and months of testing. I know its important to get us to test.. it helps you guys improve your wonderful; product, but Why ask for a select number to Beta testers? and what was the result of these select fews testings, cause the bugs I and others have registered in you bug reports page are pretty obvious.  Why release version 8 when it is clearly not ready? Magento needs to keep the confidence of US the usrs. Many of us have spent many months sticking close to Magento.  A gradual build up to release is a good plan but not versions that leave us scratching heads at the some of the problems which were fine before.

Examples of probs that should have been flagged and dealt with before release. :
Categories cant be moved! (reported and told fix is next release)
Store management system in confusion (reported)

Below links to problems reported:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/search_result/?show_result=1&version;=0.8.17240

Anyways theres my rant..
I still think Magento kicks ass, just dont end up like Oscommerce where we ( the everyday user) get forgotten. And tell your beta testers to step up their vigilance on problems as Im completely amazed at the type of bugs appearing so close to release. let us have the fixes ASAP!

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

you realise that releases under beta are for users to test and to give feedback to the developers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

I’d been testing Magento since beta 0.6x, I have had my countless frustrations, but I really think Varien is doing a *GREAT* work, that is, without trying to kiss Varien’s ass. The way I look at it, is that the eCommerce world needs a good, revolutionized open source eCommerce software that is good for developers and store owners.  I honestly don’t have any experience when it comes to developing eCommerce site but a laughable simple BIN paypal shopping cart, but I can get a glimpse of Varien’s vision, and I so wish and have been trying hard that I can catch the Magento’s eCommerce train in the right timing so that I can expand my skill and clientele.

My experience is that, every beta release is a great improvement; on personal level, I feel that Magento team has worked extremely hard and I have worked hard for the v 1.0 to come.

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

these rant threads make me smile.

i think the complainers need to get real.

take a step back and look at what varien has done / is doing here - it is truly amazing.

we have an ecommerce system with features that would usually cost thousands and thousands of pounds/dollars/insert currency here.
the code is realeased to the community via open source
the coding, design and implementation is very good.
the release schedule is very professional
the community base (i.e. this site / forum etc). is great.
the timeline is very, very short for this size of project and varien have delivered every time.

all in all - this is one amazing project - is it perfect NO - will it be? _ i think based on what I have seen so far it will be pretty close.

I for one am very grateful - we have quite a few online stores and this project will revelutionise our busines not only in terms of a great system but in terms of cost of deployment of new stores - we have previously spent hundreds of thousands in development and although we will keep a development budget, the magento project will enable us to cut that substantially and plough those savings into accelerating our growth.

As for the ‘rant thread’ - embrace the project, learn and contribute - if things are not quite as you would like them - change them (if you don’t have the skills in house either wait for the community to respond or varien or pay someone to do it for you).

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Seriously. If you think this is a nightmare, try downloading osCommerce and then figuring out which addons you need and then figuring out which versions of the addons are the ones you actually want to use.  This, on the other hand, is a breeze - just play around with it and figure things out, there’s no better way to learn. Complaining really isn’t going to help.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community