Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Removal of copyright notices

ilikerobots

Total Posts:  24

I’m contemplating creating a derivative work of Magento, but had a question regarding copyright notices.  I would of course release the derivative under OSL3 as required, but per OSL3 and AFL3, it is a violation of the terms of section 6 to remove any copyright notices from the Magento source code.  However, the Magento admin side displays to the user copyright notices of Irubin/Varien.  I think it’s best that my derivative work NOT say “Copyright Varien” to “regular users,” since they will be confused as to who is supporting this software. 

However, it seems I can’t actually remove these references since they reside in the source code.  Of course, I could just surround the copyright notices with HTML comments (technically not removing them) but this seems silly.

The copyright notices embedded in PHP comments cause no problems as they include the full attribution notice along with a notice of my deriviative work.  This derivative notice is designed to protect the original licensor from the effects of crappy licensee software (like mine might be!).  But it all seems moot if my actual product says “Copyright Varien” to users at the bottom.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

The license does not require attribution on the templates. You should be fine to remove them and keep all copyright notices in the files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eternal Peace

Total Posts:  30

Hello RoyRubin,

I have the following queries, pls do clarify.

1. Can i remove the copyright text “© 2008 Magento Demo Store. All Rights Reserved.” which is shown at the bottom of the ‘store front end’ ?

2. Now instead of the footer “© 2008 Magento Demo Store. All Rights Reserved.” can i put the actual store owners name ?

3. For the “admin back end” can i also remove the footer copyright “Magento is a trademark of Irubin Consulting Inc. DBA Varien. Copyright © 2009 Irubin Consulting Inc.” ?

4. if your answer is YES to the above queries, then i would like to know how does Magento benefit from the usage of this software by others? because you guys are not charging money from people who use this software, and also allowing them to hide your name (the software creator company name) so how do you folks make money or build popularity?

Thanks !

Magento Community
Magento Community

Incognito
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Michigan

Eternal Peace - 06 September 2009 12:40 AM

how do you folks make money or build popularity?

Magento EE starts at $8,900.  That is how they make money.  When you show up #1 on google when “open source ecommerce platform” is typed in you are already popular.

Magento Community
Magento Community

needtool

Total Posts:  53

This is how to use the brand “Magento”, not the code or license. Code or license is not so valueable like a brand.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ggchamp

Total Posts:  153

RoyRubin - 26 August 2009 07:18 AM

The license does not require attribution on the templates. You should be fine to remove them and keep all copyright notices in the files.

Good to know that!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NoNameMD

Total Posts:  22

Hi guys,

so I do understand it right that I am allowed to remove all hints at Magento from all browser-displayed pages of the front- and backend? OSL 3.0 gives no information about that :-(

Thanks for your answers…

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeff081

Total Posts:  11

Yes

I agree with you RoyRubin

Magento Community
Magento Community

lavathemes

Total Posts:  2

Dear All,

Yes, sure. You should keep copyright infomation!

Magento Community
Magento Community

riomukti21

Total Posts:  1

NoName26 - 23 July 2010 03:13 AM

Hi guys,

so I do understand it right that I am allowed to remove all hints at Magento from all browser-displayed pages of the front- and backend? OSL 3.0 gives no information about that :-(

Thanks for your answers…

I also lost any information of this OSL 3.0

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community