Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Freight and Tax setup

Stubbed

Total Posts:  6

Hi there.

I’m currently working on setting up a Magento based shop in New Zealand, and so far totally impressed, I just had a couple of questions to ask incase I was missing something, of which the answers will hopefully help people in my situation!

None of the built in freight options are much use to people outside of North America, and I’m thinking that a lot of other countries advertise their products tax inclusive, so here are my dilemmas.

The easy one is tax (Or GST as they call it here). When I enter the price for a product, I want that to be the GST inclusive rate, rather than putting in the GST excluding rate, and have Magento work it out. The ‘Including Tax’ display doesn’t bother me, but for 99% of our customers GST isn’t going to affect them. Having the amount of GST that is being paid on the invoice would be handy, but not essential.

The second, freight. The ideal situation for freight in my case would be to have different rates based on which island the purchaser was based in, and then a way to charge freight based on the products they are buying, ie, if it was a bulk freight option they would get charged more than normal freight, if we were dispatching from the north island and the customer was in the south, they would get charged a separate rate.

A couple of scenarios, lets pretend we are based in the South Island.:

a) Person A buys 3 items, and needs it shipped to the North Island, one is a bulk freight and the other is normal and the two items can fit in one box. Charge the customer a standard other island bulk rate and the standard other island freight rate.

b) Person B buys 2 items, but based on their weight are too big for one box, but they’re in the same island. Charge the customer two boxes at the same island rate.

I realise there may be some custom code involved in both, which I am happy to undertake, when pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Stubbed

Any ideas on this?

I’ve been mucking around with table rates (With information from here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-do-i-set-up-table-rate-shipping), but I’m not quite sure how to add in custom regions, when I try and make a ‘North Island’ and ‘South Island’ region and upload the file, I get:

Error while saving this configuration:  Invalid Region/State “North Island” in the Row #1 Invalid Region/State “North Island” in the Row #2 Invalid Region/State “South Island” in the Row #3 Invalid Region/State “South Island” in the Row #4 etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stubbed

Is it worth waiting for the final release to receive support?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sentient

Total Posts:  1

Had the same problem, but came up with a (somewhat) dirty hack to get around it in the meantime. Basically, add it to the database directly.

Step 1: Add the regions you want.
in ‘directory_country_region’ table, we added country_id=’NZ’, code=’North Island’,default_name=’North Island’, and same for South Island. There were auto-numbered 182 and 183 respectively.

Step 2: Update region_name table
in ‘directory_country_region_name’, we added locale=’en_US’, region_id=182, name=’North Island’, and same for South Island using 183 and South Island.

After this, it still errored with NZ as the country in the CSV Import, so we just created the table manually.

Step 3: Manually create the shipping_table
add rows to the ‘shipping_tablerate’ table, website_id=whatever it should be (1 for us), dest_country_id=NZ, dest_region_id=182 or 183 (from the original autonumbered rows in Step 1), and the rest as per the standard CSV layout.

I don’t know if all these steps are necessary, but we made sure to insert the shipping_table rows in incremental order as they would be in a proper CSV import.

Seems to work fine so far. Let us know how you go. Imagine this could be adapted for anywhere that needs regions added.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stubbed

Is there a better way of doing this rather than what Sentient has said? Seems a bit over the top that there has to be manual edits…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community