Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Magento is slow ! 

MJsmart

Total Posts:  29
PARIS

Hello,

After installing magento locally, I find it very slow.
Is this normal?

Sincerely

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

Yes.

Running it on a web server it is considered slow right now.

Running it local obviously improves performance because your PC has more grunt that a shared server.

I think the Magento team are working on optimising the code before release to speed everything up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian Shea

Total Posts:  1

So far, I’ve found everything related to Magento slow. (I’ve been here a whole 2 days)

I really like the backend, and I can see the direction it’s heading in, which is nice. Much cleaner than previous carts I’ve worked with.

But, it is dreadfully slow. At first, I figured that maybe the demo was slow due to the server, since this forum is horribly slow.  But after I installed on my own server, I noticed it’s still slow.

I look forward to the stable version and any speed increase. But for current projects, I have to unfortunately stick with the ‘established’ carts.

I think the slowness of the forum is a concern also, since it gives me a feeling that speed is not important. (just a first impression type of thing)

edit:  keep in mind, I really like the project. I’m not smashing it. And I do understand it’s in beta.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jared

Total Posts:  21

I’m disappointed at the speed as well.  I have a dedicated server and magento just crawls.  I like the majority of the features and am considering going live but all the feedback I get from my testers is that the site is slow.

This is a new site and I am looking towards the future.  I think Magento has great potential (other than being overly complicated) but it really needs a speed increase.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chantal

Total Posts:  68
Netherlands, Hellevoetsluis

I have installed it locally on a Dell PowerEdge T105 (4Gb RAM) with x64 AMD processor running Ubuntu Server. Magento isn’t slow at all at this configuration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Chantal - 18 May 2008 01:28 AM

I have installed it locally on a Dell PowerEdge T105 (4Gb RAM) with x64 AMD processor running Ubuntu Server. Magento isn’t slow at all at this configuration.

Agreed.  Magento runs exceptionally well in the proper environment.  We’ve had amazing results with speed tests.

Right now, Magento is simply going to take more resources, however I can assure you that the Magento team is working incredibly hard on the speed issue.  It shouldn’t be long at all - until then, you may have to just wait or use a different provider that can meet the demands.

‘Work arounds’ will likely work around till the next software update, fyi.

At the time, the software is heavy and requires pure power.  We’ll just need to be patient as these things are worked out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jared

Total Posts:  21

Chantal - 18 May 2008 01:28 AM

Key word is locally.  A few other threads say Magento acts a lot differently locally.

It’s good to hear they are working on it.  It’s worth being patient then.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MasterDee

Total Posts:  32

I trust Magento team, they’ll fix this speed issue for sure, otherwise the shop will be useless for the most users.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Herve Guetin

Total Posts:  216
Lyon, FR

Just did a demo to my associates : they are as astonished by the power of Magento as asleep while waiting for the next page to load…
Please be quick to make it fast.
And thanks so much for all this incredible work… I’m so excited about going live and sell !

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

I agree with Crucial.
The environment is very important.

For example, you can’t compare shared with dedicated hosting as that would be comparing apple to oranges.

It is important to look at your budget and your requirements. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Napier

Total Posts:  47

Ummm - I use a $35/month reseller shared host - www.hostgator.com and my magento is EXTREMELY fast.. WAY faster then other systems

www.mindstatedistribution.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Napier,

Just so you know, I got a 500 Internal Server Error when I went to your site…

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be back now. Carry on!

Edit: Uh, scratch that. I keep getting a 500 Internal Error, then I do a hard refresh and it comes back. Every other page comes up with a 500 error though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jcoleman

Total Posts:  4

Holy Macaroni and Cheese, that is fast!  Perhaps the fastest I have ever seen.  I am currently hosted at Mosso (a “cloud” hosting solution), which is achingly slow (it takes 30+ seconds to display cart contents behind 1.5 Mb DSL, but apparently cloud and grid hosting systems do particularly poorly with Magento).

I might have to seriously think about changing hosting providers.  Crucial was very kind in sharing what they have to offer, but since we run all of our billing, domain management, etc. through Mosso, this did not seem like a transparent change.  However, what you are showing may just make a believer out of me.  Good stuff.

However, I did get 404 errors on every non cart/account page I clicked on (although, I assume you know this).  I will be curious to see what performance is like once your product catalog is fully loaded.  I am also curious what difference (if any) the change from the default theme is making.  Also, the search runs like lubricated lightning.  Again, though, I would be curious to see the difference when the catalog is fully online.

Excellent work so far on such a fast store.  Well done.

Warmest Regards,

John Coleman

Magento Community
Magento Community

jcoleman

Total Posts:  4

Sorry, I forgot something.  What are your load times like on the back end?  What have you seen time-wise in terms of loading the admin main page (after logging in), adding new products, etc.?  I know there are quite a few people who are deferring their full allegiance to Magento over speed issues, and finding someone who’s installation is blazing-fast changes the game, at least for me.  Your input is most appreciated.  Thank you!

Kindest Regards,

John Coleman

Magento Community
Magento Community

Napier

Total Posts:  47

This is the fastest system I have used - I get no errors - do you guys still get them?

Backend is a little slower but still very fast.

I have no issues at all - i had some errors and i told hostgator what I was installing (using live chat with them whichi s available 24 hours a day) and they simply said ok and enabled a few things on the server for me and voila… this is what i have…

I dont get any errors - (other than a menu css issue on IE)

Magento Community
Magento Community

pauljosephson

Total Posts:  37

Napier, I too have a hostgator reseller account. Although it is not slow I would like to speed it up a little on one of my clients.  Do you know what tech support did to your account?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3