Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Making a product not visible in catalog or search…but having the URL still work? 

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

If I have discontinued products, I don’t want them to show up in catalog or search, but I wouldn’t mind if the URL still worked.  Is there any way to do this?  I would have thought using “nowhere” as the visibility would work, but it then makes the page go to a 404 not found.  I don’t get then what the difference between changing the status from enabled to disabled is and visibility to nowhere?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cloudquarry
Guru

Total Posts:  528

You could try setting visibility=Catalog and then putting them all in an inactive category. I think that way you can still navigate to the products directly using the URL, but they won’t show up in either browse or search.

Magento Community
Magento Community

CharlieXun

Total Posts:  30

Hi,

I came across this problem as well. The method provided by ksolaro worked fine, but I got more complex situation. I use “Myshirt” example to explain my situation.

-Root
- Mans(active) - Myshirt <---move Myshirt to Outdated category
- Manufacturer(inactive)- Nike(active) - Myshirt
- Outdated(inactive) - Myshirt

In this way manu bar on the top only display “Mans”, and shirt won’t be found in Mans category. But in the product attribute description we added link to its manufacturer(i.e Nike) so that the customer can click the link to see all Nike products, where the list shouldn’t display Myshirt.

Any better solution to keep URL but not be searchable nor listed on the category?

I’ve tried to modify list.phtml and can hide Myshirt in the list, but I got problem with toobar.phtml to display correct item numbers on the page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

I think we are all looking for the same missing feature here, currently you can set products as:

Nowhere - Removes them from the frontend
catalogue - finds them through navigation or attributes only
search - found in search only
catalogue/search - active product across the site

But what we need is to be added:

Direct Only - The product can only be found via a search engine or a direct link to its location.

This way it can be used for promotions, outdated or discontinued products, SEO product landing pages etc…

Jshop does this that has been round since 2003! C’mon Magento… so nearly the best ecommerce platform… nearly!

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

View 6 Com

Total Posts:  83
Brighton Sussex UK

Hi

Yes this would be a really good feature - if anyone has any progress on this please post here…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ITALIC

Total Posts:  23
Sunshine Coast, Australia

I am also looking for a “discontinued” option allowing for the product to be displayed without the purchase facility and to display a cross-sell/up-sell item as its new replacement.
The benefit of this is to not have 404 errors from indexed product pages in the search engines but also not to lose customers that are aware of that particular product model/version by showing them that it now has now been updated to a new product.

Would love to get this option if anyone has found a way to programme/module it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SAM-I-AM

Total Posts:  15

change the following

public function getVisibleInSiteIds()

{

return array(self::VISIBILITY_IN_SEARCHself::VISIBILITY_IN_CATALOGself::VISIBILITY_BOTH);

}

to

public function getVisibleInSiteIds()

{

return array(self::VISIBILITY_IN_SEARCHself::VISIBILITY_IN_CATALOGself::VISIBILITY_BOTHself::VISIBILITY_NOT_VISIBLE);

}

in the file

\app\code\core\Mage\Catalog\Model\Product\Visibility.php

and it will show products that has visibility set to nowhere

Magento Community
Magento Community

lurebeauty

Total Posts:  229

This was such a HUGE HELP, thanks for this fix!  this was driving me insane!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community