Magento Forum

Documentation? 

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

I was wondering if there will be more API documentation for module writers soon?  I know you guys (the Magento team) are really busy with the upcoming release, but even a few [more] bits of documentation would really help.

I have tried to create an auto-generated class and method reference using phpDoc, but the end result wasn’t very good.  Is that something the Magento team would be prepared to have a go at?  The Drupal API reference is great: http://api.drupal.org/ - I think it’s generated with doxygen.

Another thing that would be a real help for others such as myself - who are testing the water with module development, would be to have the few relevant Wiki pages updated to reflect changes in recent releases.  At the moment I feel a bit like a dog chasing it’s tail, wading through forum posts and trying to reverse engineer existing modules.

Cheers,
Ross.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Ross - Documentation is something we’ll be tackling after the production release. It is critically lacking and we are fully aware of it.

There is also a 3rd party Magento development book in the works as well as a training program. With time, the documentation and available resources will continue to increase.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Thanks for responding Roy.  I’m sure you have things well in hand.

I think documentation is a key area, and could provide an important way to differentiate Magento from other projects (although, the quality of the product already does stand out).

While as users we may sound impatient at times, I think it is also safe to say that we are equally surprised at how quickly Varien is developing the product.

Keep up the good work!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community